Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameter Sweep on Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I created a geometry whose dimensions are related to a few parameters which I have been defining under "Global Definitions > Parameters".

Now I would like to change some of these parameters (let's say two, but even one would be ok), run the simulation and store the results for different values of the parameters. Is there a wayto do so automatically, or am I supposed to change the values manually?

For instance, let's say I have a clamped beam with an applied load at the free end.
The beam has a square section (side "A") and its lenght is "L".
I want to know its maximum deformation (or whatever) for each combination of A and L in a certain range.
For exemple:
L = [1,2,3]
A =[0.1,0.2,0.3]

Is there the possibility to do so?
Thank you very much

15 Replies Last Post 13.12.2016, 08:01 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.08.2013, 15:23 GMT-4
Hi Jasha,

I tried this kind of sweep some times ago. And the software said it is an error to do geometry sweep. Maybe that kind of sweep change the geometry mesh or something. However, if you finally know the solution, please let me know.

Regards,
Ruochen
Hi Jasha, I tried this kind of sweep some times ago. And the software said it is an error to do geometry sweep. Maybe that kind of sweep change the geometry mesh or something. However, if you finally know the solution, please let me know. Regards, Ruochen

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.08.2013, 17:45 GMT-4
How to perform a geometric parametric sweep is explained in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 4.3b, page 96 (www.comsol.com/shared/downloads/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf).
Best,
JF
How to perform a geometric parametric sweep is explained in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 4.3b, page 96 (http://www.comsol.com/shared/downloads/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf). Best, JF

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.08.2013, 09:23 GMT-4

How to perform a geometric parametric sweep is explained in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 4.3b, page 96 (www.comsol.com/shared/downloads/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf).
Best,
JF

No chance to do that on version 4.3?
[QUOTE] How to perform a geometric parametric sweep is explained in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 4.3b, page 96 (http://www.comsol.com/shared/downloads/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf). Best, JF [/QUOTE] No chance to do that on version 4.3?

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.08.2013, 10:05 GMT-4
The same method will work in 4.3 as well, although you might notice some minor differences in the GUI.
Jeff
The same method will work in 4.3 as well, although you might notice some minor differences in the GUI. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.01.2014, 14:14 GMT-5
Thanks, that helps! by the way, the parametrical sweep is actually at page 107.
Thanks, that helps! by the way, the parametrical sweep is actually at page 107.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.01.2014, 15:34 GMT-5
No problem.
For clarity:
The target of the link above changed since I made the posting above. The parametric sweep is discussed starting on page 96 in the 4.3b version of the booklet, but at page 107 in the version 4.4 version of the booklet.

Jeff
No problem. For clarity: The target of the link above changed since I made the posting above. The parametric sweep is discussed starting on page 96 in the 4.3b version of the booklet, but at page 107 in the version 4.4 version of the booklet. Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 17.09.2014, 03:49 GMT-4
It is acturally on page 103 on the .pdf book itself.
It is acturally on page 103 on the .pdf book itself.

Posted: 9 years ago 23.04.2015, 19:16 GMT-4
Dear Jeff,

Is it possible to perform material sweep on 4.3b?
Dear Jeff, Is it possible to perform material sweep on 4.3b?

Posted: 9 years ago 23.04.2015, 20:14 GMT-4
Material sweeps and function sweeps were introduced at 5.0.
Jeff
Material sweeps and function sweeps were introduced at 5.0. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 11.12.2016, 04:49 GMT-5

Material sweeps and function sweeps were introduced at 5.0.
Jeff

Dear Jeff,

Do you have a manual of Material sweeps and function sweeps for V 5.1?

Idan

[QUOTE] Material sweeps and function sweeps were introduced at 5.0. Jeff [/QUOTE] Dear Jeff, Do you have a manual of Material sweeps and function sweeps for V 5.1? Idan

Posted: 8 years ago 11.12.2016, 05:26 GMT-5
Dear Jeff

I am trying to use Matlab's Global Optimization tool (specifically using genetic algorithms) with my function based on comsol. According to a previous post (cn.comsol.com/community/forums/livelink-products/thread/38557), my optimization code is very unstable and occurs two kinds of errors (see Attach File). Calling upon multiple comsol server simultaneously in Paraller Computing is a key here. Can you help me?(comsol 4.3 and matlab 2010b)
Thanks a lot.

regards
Jia
Dear Jeff I am trying to use Matlab's Global Optimization tool (specifically using genetic algorithms) with my function based on comsol. According to a previous post (http://cn.comsol.com/community/forums/livelink-products/thread/38557), my optimization code is very unstable and occurs two kinds of errors (see Attach File). Calling upon multiple comsol server simultaneously in Paraller Computing is a key here. Can you help me?(comsol 4.3 and matlab 2010b) Thanks a lot. regards Jia

Posted: 8 years ago 12.12.2016, 11:49 GMT-5
Hi Jia,
Your questions appear not to be directly related to this thread. I invite you to start a new thread.
To request technical support from COMSOL personnel, please email support@comsol.com .
Best regards,
Jeff
Hi Jia, Your questions appear not to be directly related to this thread. I invite you to start a new thread. To request technical support from COMSOL personnel, please email support@comsol.com . Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 12.12.2016, 12:30 GMT-5
Yes, just search the Reference Manual for "material sweep".
Jeff
Yes, just search the Reference Manual for "material sweep". Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 12.12.2016, 20:12 GMT-5
Hi Jeff

Thanks very much for your help. This thread have been posted in two weeks ago (cn.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/131063/), but no one answers. Thus, I turn to your help. If you can, please help me to solve this question. Really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Jia
Hi Jeff Thanks very much for your help. This thread have been posted in two weeks ago (http://cn.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/131063/), but no one answers. Thus, I turn to your help. If you can, please help me to solve this question. Really appreciate your help. Regards, Jia

Posted: 8 years ago 13.12.2016, 08:01 GMT-5
Hello Jia,
To request technical support from COMSOL personnel, please email support@comsol.com .
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Jia, To request technical support from COMSOL personnel, please email support@comsol.com . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.