Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass flow unsymetric matrix error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to do simulation of turbulent flow through a valve. I have a problem that the pressure variable seems to become unsymetric as soon as I have flow through the inlets of the valve.

I am able to have the water running through the valve from end to end, but as soon as I want i to flow in from the side without having flow from the end I get the following error

Failed to find a solution.
Segregated group 1

Singular matrix.

There are 87 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod1.p.
at coordinates: (1219.24,80.7918,21.0936), (1218.72,81.0312,20.1543), (1220.41,81.0618,20.031), (1220.87,80.6622,21.5839), (1216.17,18.908,81.331), ...
There are 1 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod1.spf.Pmfinl1.
at coordinates: (0,0,0), ...
Returned solution is not converged.

I have tried deleting the solver and restoring the default solver. Changing the dampening both up and down. Changing the mesh which gives more void equations with a finer mesh and less with a coarser. I have tried both itterative and direct solvers. And changing the mass fow rate up and down.

Can anyone see what I am missing here?

1 Reply Last Post 02.07.2013, 14:57 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.07.2013, 14:57 GMT-4
Line:

I do not know if you already solved your problem. Here is a solution I found. Change your inlet boundary condition from mass flow to velocity and give an average velocity as an input. I have attached a file with that BC and your model converges.

Sri.
Line: I do not know if you already solved your problem. Here is a solution I found. Change your inlet boundary condition from mass flow to velocity and give an average velocity as an input. I have attached a file with that BC and your model converges. Sri.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.