Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Wall Condition in Fluid Particle Tracking (fpt) Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

It seems as though the instructions in the COMSOL User's Manual (v4.3) may disagree with the logic in the fluid particle tracking module for the wall condition specification. Before I submit it formally as an issue, thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar problem and had come to the same or a different conclusion.

I had been trying to specify how tracer particles (2 um diameter, 0.4 s.g.) with an imposed charge would interact with the electrically grounded walls of a 2-D channel (0.2 m width, 1 m length, air, 1 m/s inlet velocity), and kept getting counter-intuitive results. If you do not want every particle-wall interaction to be identical, COMSOL allows you to specify the type of particle-wall interaction (bounce, freeze, stick) and either a probability or an expression (algebraic, logical, etc). The User's Manual says that if the provided expression (algebraic, logical, etc.) evaluates to 0, then the selected particle-wall interaction will be applied. Otherwise (i.e., expression /= 0), the particles are supposed to bounce.

After entering a variety of algebraic and logical expressions - and not getting the particle-wall behavior I expected, I've found that choosing "stick" or "freeze" as the wall condition and "0" as the expression actually results in the particles bouncing off of the wall. For "0" as the expression, according to the User's Manual, the particles should behave according to the selected wall condition.

Am I misinterpreting this? Anyone else have an issue with specifying the wall condition in fpt?

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

HC

0 Replies Last Post 19.06.2013, 17:35 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Herek Clack

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.