Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cylindrical geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I'm trying to model RF coils for MRI with Comsol, and I'm not finding it terribly easy to create the actual geometry. As can be seen in your example (www.uk.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/4101/), MR coils often end up looking like a flat circuit printed on another geometry -- there the example is a symmetric birdcage coil, but sometimes we want to create something not symmetric wrapped around a cylinder (or another more complicated shape).

My question is this: I'm not so sure how to easily create geometries like that shown in the example. Is it possible to "morph" or "melt" one structure onto another, as you can often do in other 3D modelling programs? I've tried playing around with creating a local coordinate system, but it appears that these are only for the solver's use -- and you can't easily define a workplane at constant r on a cylinder, for example.

Do you have any tips for how to create these sorts of structures? I basically want to draw copper on the sides of cylinders/other shapes!

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies Last Post 22.05.2013, 06:02 GMT-4
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.05.2013, 15:06 GMT-4
Jack-

COMSOL gives a nice option for building helical 1-D structures that overlay nicely on cylinders (simply set the minor radius to zero). But, if you have something more complicated I would suggest using a CAD software or 3D Direct modeling software with a "Projection" functionality to "draw on the sides of cylinders" and then the COMSOL CAD Import Module to bring the geometry into COMSOL. It looks like that's what was done in the MRI Bird-Cage Coil model you referenced.

Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Jack- COMSOL gives a nice option for building helical 1-D structures that overlay nicely on cylinders (simply set the minor radius to zero). But, if you have something more complicated I would suggest using a CAD software or 3D Direct modeling software with a "Projection" functionality to "draw on the sides of cylinders" and then the COMSOL CAD Import Module to bring the geometry into COMSOL. It looks like that's what was done in the MRI Bird-Cage Coil model you referenced. Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Lorant Olasz COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.05.2013, 05:49 GMT-4
Hi Jack,

The geometry sequence in the attached file illustrates how you can build the geometry for the MRI bird-cage coil model you were referring to. As you can see in the model, the steps consist of drawing circular sectors, which in subsequent steps are extruded, moved and rotated to create the geometry. You can easily parametrize the geometry by adding global parameters and using those in the settings for the geometry features.

Best regards,
Lorant
Hi Jack, The geometry sequence in the attached file illustrates how you can build the geometry for the MRI bird-cage coil model you were referring to. As you can see in the model, the steps consist of drawing circular sectors, which in subsequent steps are extruded, moved and rotated to create the geometry. You can easily parametrize the geometry by adding global parameters and using those in the settings for the geometry features. Best regards, Lorant

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.05.2013, 06:02 GMT-4
Hi Lorant & Josh,

Thanks for some very useful replies! I've found that it's probably going to be easier using another product (i.e. Blender) to generate geometry and then import into Comsol, but I'll have a look at the attached. It's certainly obvious that it's best to do the geometry in Comsol and then be able to change parameters dynamically, although what I actually want is best described as an object 'wrapped around' a cone/cylinder, and other products provide tools to do that in one step.

Thanks hugely for your help!

All the best,

-- Jack
Hi Lorant & Josh, Thanks for some very useful replies! I've found that it's probably going to be easier using another product (i.e. Blender) to generate geometry and then import into Comsol, but I'll have a look at the attached. It's certainly obvious that it's best to do the geometry in Comsol and then be able to change parameters dynamically, although what I actually want is best described as an object 'wrapped around' a cone/cylinder, and other products provide tools to do that in one step. Thanks hugely for your help! All the best, -- Jack

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.