Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D Model of "Voltage Induced in a Coil by a Moving Magnet"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I wanted to do the 3D version of the Model "Voltage Induced in a Coil by a Moving Magnet" which is in the Comsol Library.

I used the same physics, materials and boundary conditions, but unfortunately the 3D Model does not converge.

Do I have to adapt something in order to make the 3D model work??

I would be really glad if you can help me out!!!

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 01.08.2013, 06:30 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mario Andres Kovacs

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.08.2013, 06:30 GMT-4
Hi, Mario.

Did you have any luck solving this?

I have also tried to implement the "Voltage Induced in a Coil by a Moving Magnet" in 3D (as a previous step toward a real 3D model ─i.e., without axial symmetry─) and I algo got convergence problems.

In order to know which part of the model was failing, I systematically reduced the complexity of the model. I removed the coil (that is, having then just a moving magnet) and still arised convergence problems. Then, I removed the moving mesh (but still tried to solve the stationary and time dependent problem, but the magnet is not moving anymore) and... convergence problems arised. Removing the time dependent step (that is, solving just the stationary problem, getting the magnetic flux density, B, in space) everything is ok.

So I don't know why, but the system is unable to converge even if you just have a magnet pinned in space and tries to get the magnetic flux density in time (which is, of course, the same solution than the stationary).

On the other hand, removing just the coil AND using "magnetic fields, no currents (mfnc)" instead of "magnetic fields (mf)" the system converges and you get the magnetic flux density of a moving magnet in time. But, obviously, you cannot add the coil and get to know the voltage induced in it.

I don't know what else to try. Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, Mario. Did you have any luck solving this? I have also tried to implement the "Voltage Induced in a Coil by a Moving Magnet" in 3D (as a previous step toward a real 3D model ─i.e., without axial symmetry─) and I algo got convergence problems. In order to know which part of the model was failing, I systematically reduced the complexity of the model. I removed the coil (that is, having then just a moving magnet) and still arised convergence problems. Then, I removed the moving mesh (but still tried to solve the stationary and time dependent problem, but the magnet is not moving anymore) and... convergence problems arised. Removing the time dependent step (that is, solving just the stationary problem, getting the magnetic flux density, B, in space) everything is ok. So I don't know why, but the system is unable to converge even if you just have a magnet pinned in space and tries to get the magnetic flux density in time (which is, of course, the same solution than the stationary). On the other hand, removing just the coil AND using "magnetic fields, no currents (mfnc)" instead of "magnetic fields (mf)" the system converges and you get the magnetic flux density of a moving magnet in time. But, obviously, you cannot add the coil and get to know the voltage induced in it. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestion will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.