Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass extraction and saturation of bulk solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am fairly new to COMSOL. I am after solving a non steady-state packed bed extractor with fluid flow convection in the axial direction of the extractor and diffusion of soluble material from the solid particles.

The first thing I am trying is to solve the diffusion equation in 2D with different boundary conditions, as if the particles were in a stirred vessel.

My question is:

When a forced convection boundary condition is imposed, how can be the saturation of the bulk fluid be accounted for?

Manually the process would be

1) Bulk concentration of the fluid is 0 at time 0
2) After the first time step has elapsed, the solution of the diffusion equation gives a total flow (mass released) out of the particle. That mass divided by the volume of the vessel gives the bulk concentration for the next time step.

In COMSOL, how can I update the bulk concentration by imposing that it would be the volume integral over the particle divided by the volume of the vessel for each time step? Is there a way to create a for loop of should I combine this problem with Matlab?

Thanks in advance

B

2 Replies Last Post 16.05.2013, 07:58 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.05.2013, 05:05 GMT-4
I attach a picture be clearer about the problem.

I attach a picture be clearer about the problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2013, 07:58 GMT-4
In case this is useful for anyone:

-The approach I followed was to solve the increment of concentration in the tank analytically
(V*dCbulk/dt = kA(Cbulk-C(t)), and define and expression with the analytical solution over the considered boundary, and then use the boundary condition "Flux" It seems to work but still I would like to know how to implement straight away a boundary condition which is a differential equation...

In case this is useful for anyone: -The approach I followed was to solve the increment of concentration in the tank analytically (V*dCbulk/dt = kA(Cbulk-C(t)), and define and expression with the analytical solution over the considered boundary, and then use the boundary condition "Flux" It seems to work but still I would like to know how to implement straight away a boundary condition which is a differential equation...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.