Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Liquid Encapsulated Capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I think I should first start with "I am extremely new to COMSOL" :)

That being said, I started working with it a little and now I can finally design a capacitor and have COMSOL calculate the capacitance.

What I would like to do, however, is to have a capacitor that uses a liquid as a dielectric. By rotating the capacitor (or changing the gravitational field), the shape of the liquid in the capacitor will change, and therefore there will be a change in capacitance.

My question: are there any tutorials or pointers on how to model any of that in COMSOL? How can I change the gravitational field that acts on a liquid in an enclosed container? How do I figure out what the liquid inside that container would look like at each moment of time? and how can I link that so that COMSOL can calculate the capacitance at each one of those moments?

Again, I apologize in advance if this was a relatively dumb question. I'm just getting started with COMSOL (the only reason I am trying to learn COMSOL is to figure out a problem of such nature, so I thought I should post here for help).

0 Replies Last Post 09.05.2013, 15:42 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Osama En-Nasr

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.