Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

can i calculate the absorption coefficients of absorber composed of micro-perforated olate and porous material with comsol?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi, i am a new to comsol,.

And i want to calculate the absorption coefficients of a absorber composed of micro-perforated plate and porous material. can i calculate the coefficients of micro-perforated plate with MATLAB and then assign the values to that in COMSOL instead of Michelle formula?

looking forward to help from any body.
Thanks a lot .
yonghua

1 Reply Last Post 20.05.2013, 03:08 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.05.2013, 03:08 GMT-4
Hi,

You can not use the absorption coefficient as it is dimensionless and gives no phase information and it is frequency dependent. If you can find out the impedance (Kg * m/s) of the material you can use that instead.

I have been working on solutions for room-acoustical problems for some months now and it gives quite good results to use impedance instead of absorption coefficient.

Hope this helps
--
/RVN
Hi, You can not use the absorption coefficient as it is dimensionless and gives no phase information and it is frequency dependent. If you can find out the impedance (Kg * m/s) of the material you can use that instead. I have been working on solutions for room-acoustical problems for some months now and it gives quite good results to use impedance instead of absorption coefficient. Hope this helps -- /RVN

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.