Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI - vibration study of a cylinder in a fluid flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am new to Comsol. I am trying to study flow induced vibration of a cylinder fixed at one end and free at other. The cylinder is placed vertically against the flow. Is it possible to find the amplitude and frequency of vibration in the cylinder at the tip.

Please recommend me tutorials similar to this problem

2 Replies Last Post 10.04.2013, 17:42 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.04.2013, 12:26 GMT-4
Hi

you are putting the bar quite high, starting directly with a complex multiphysics. Be prepared to have to tweak somewhat many buttons. And in doubt, remake your model simpler, first the flow, then the structure under boundary load, then coupling ...

But assuming you have all this nicely set up in FSI physics, which amplitudes are you looking for ?
If you flow is laminar, and you have a reasonable (slow) fluid speed, + some damping in the fluid and posibly in the solid material, then you should get amplitudes that are representative (provided too that the mesh is fine enough and you have enough RAM and time to solver for reasonable time duratons).

However, if you have turbulent regime, and/or your meshing is not good enough, then your resuts might look impressive but might not be correct.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are putting the bar quite high, starting directly with a complex multiphysics. Be prepared to have to tweak somewhat many buttons. And in doubt, remake your model simpler, first the flow, then the structure under boundary load, then coupling ... But assuming you have all this nicely set up in FSI physics, which amplitudes are you looking for ? If you flow is laminar, and you have a reasonable (slow) fluid speed, + some damping in the fluid and posibly in the solid material, then you should get amplitudes that are representative (provided too that the mesh is fine enough and you have enough RAM and time to solver for reasonable time duratons). However, if you have turbulent regime, and/or your meshing is not good enough, then your resuts might look impressive but might not be correct. -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.04.2013, 17:42 GMT-4
I would start with the Vibrating Beam in Fluid Flow example from the COMSOL Model Gallery (Model ID 9408). You will also find several papers describing such models for the purpose of energy harvesting but they may not be as informative for you because they don’t provide a step by step solution. Check for example our paper on page 18 of 2011 COMSOL News magazine: www.us.comsol.com/shared/downloads/comsol_news_2011.pdf).

Nagi Elabbasi
www.veryst.com
I would start with the Vibrating Beam in Fluid Flow example from the COMSOL Model Gallery (Model ID 9408). You will also find several papers describing such models for the purpose of energy harvesting but they may not be as informative for you because they don’t provide a step by step solution. Check for example our paper on page 18 of 2011 COMSOL News magazine: http://www.us.comsol.com/shared/downloads/comsol_news_2011.pdf). Nagi Elabbasi www.veryst.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.