Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal stress in a multilayer object

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.
Im trying to simulate the residual stress in a multimaterial sandwich structure and I have done it with the thermal stress module and with a time-dependant study.
I put all my doamins at an initial temperature of 100 °c, then I leave cool down by convection at 0°C. Every ten second I have the result for the Von Mises stress within my structure, in order to understand whether this stress reach the strenght of materials themselves.
Instead of finding that the stress increase as the temperature lowers (due to different thermal contraction), it results that the stress decreases in all layers.

1)Why?

2) What for, in case of a stationary study with steady temperature (T_initial=T_final), the stress is not zero?

Thanks to them can help me.

1 Reply Last Post 20.03.2013, 06:41 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.03.2013, 06:41 GMT-4
Hi

have you checked the Strain reference temperature ? if your system is stress released at high temperatures, then you need to set the ref temp to the high value, and then you will see the stress build-up on cooling

often you get some residual stress as you need to wait very long to remove all heat from your bar, you see a "large" deformation scaled up to be shown, but in absolute it might well be only nanometres

By the way you could compare TS and HT+ Solid with Thermal expansion, there is a little difference, about 1% not sure why

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the Strain reference temperature ? if your system is stress released at high temperatures, then you need to set the ref temp to the high value, and then you will see the stress build-up on cooling often you get some residual stress as you need to wait very long to remove all heat from your bar, you see a "large" deformation scaled up to be shown, but in absolute it might well be only nanometres By the way you could compare TS and HT+ Solid with Thermal expansion, there is a little difference, about 1% not sure why -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.