Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to generate pulsed laser in Bioheat Eq.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For Bioheat equation, there is one parameter which I can input corresponding to laser source, Q_ext (spatial heat source)

In this part, I typed the equation of laser radiation below,

I0*a*exp(a*z-r^2/(2*sigma^2))

and this is all what I could do.

The laser of course radiated as CW(continuous wave) mode.

I need to use the laser source as a pulsed mode.

What should I do?

2 Replies Last Post 14.01.2015, 13:17 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.03.2013, 01:13 GMT-5
Hi

first of all you have the gp1() (Gaussian pulse, check the help for the normalisation, its slightly hidden ;) under "model - Definitions - Functions". So if you have a pulsed laser and you are interested in the pulse response, you must do a time series over the pulse length (you can use another gp2() for the temporal shape. But if you have a pulse train, you can use the average energy to, all depends where you interest are (or a single pulse response to get the energy balance and an average value thereafter ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all you have the gp1() (Gaussian pulse, check the help for the normalisation, its slightly hidden ;) under "model - Definitions - Functions". So if you have a pulsed laser and you are interested in the pulse response, you must do a time series over the pulse length (you can use another gp2() for the temporal shape. But if you have a pulse train, you can use the average energy to, all depends where you interest are (or a single pulse response to get the energy balance and an average value thereafter ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 14.01.2015, 13:17 GMT-5
I am trying to generate a model where I can look at the heat dissipation in a plasmonic structure when irradiated by a ns pulsed laser. I have managed to make a model where I can solve the emf simulation and then a time dependant heat transfer simulation, however I think this is modeling a CW laser source. I would like to be able to tell comsol to have a laser source for 30ns and then stop. I was wondering if another study step with just a time dependent step for the heat transfer would work, but I am unsure how to get the temperature data from the first study step to the second. I have attached the model file. Any advice?
I am trying to generate a model where I can look at the heat dissipation in a plasmonic structure when irradiated by a ns pulsed laser. I have managed to make a model where I can solve the emf simulation and then a time dependant heat transfer simulation, however I think this is modeling a CW laser source. I would like to be able to tell comsol to have a laser source for 30ns and then stop. I was wondering if another study step with just a time dependent step for the heat transfer would work, but I am unsure how to get the temperature data from the first study step to the second. I have attached the model file. Any advice?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.