Post Displacement Larger Than Length of Post

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey y'all!

I've been working with a beam I designed in COMSOL and I have been applying some lateral forces to it to measure the amount of deformation in the beam. I am expecting a linear relationship similar to Hooke's Law for reasonable values, and also expect that the deflections will max out at very high forces.

However, when I use very high forces, I get extremely high deflections which do not make sense. For example, after applying 1000 micronewtons of force, I get a deflection larger than the size of my post which does not make sense. Can someone explain why this is the case?

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 10.07.2024, 03:15 GMT-4
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 day ago 10.07.2024, 03:15 GMT-4

You are probably not including non-linear geometry, so 1 N will just give you 1000x more deflection than 1 uN, as everything scales linearly. Otherwise, upload your case.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
You are probably not including non-linear geometry, so 1 N will just give you 1000x more deflection than 1 uN, as everything scales linearly. Otherwise, upload your case.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.