Calculate Dissipated Energy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am working on a model where a structure made of a shape memory alloy(Nitinol) is being subjected to tensile loading. I am able to generate the appropriate hysteris loop using a stationary study with the solid mechanics physics. I wanted to find the energy that was dissipated during this process. The comsol documentation says that there is a "Calculate Energy Dissipation" node in the material models section but I have been unable to find it. Any ideas on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Vedant

2 Replies Last Post 15.07.2024, 04:34 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vedant Wagh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 hours ago 15.07.2024, 02:21 GMT-4

Hi, I am also working on that. Kindly let me know if you could find any solution to that. Thank you.

Hi, I am also working on that. Kindly let me know if you could find any solution to that. Thank you.

Adam Wahlsten COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 hours ago 15.07.2024, 04:34 GMT-4

Dear Vedant and Tayfur,

The Calculate dissipated energy setting is available in the Energy Dissipation section of the main material model (Linear Elastic, Hyperelastic, Shape Memory Alloy, etc.). In order to see this section, you first need to include Advanced Physics Options in the Show More Options dialog, which you find at the top of the Model Builder window.

Best regards, Adam Wahlsten COMSOL

Dear Vedant and Tayfur, The *Calculate dissipated energy* setting is available in the **Energy Dissipation** section of the main material model (Linear Elastic, Hyperelastic, Shape Memory Alloy, etc.). In order to see this section, you first need to include Advanced Physics Options in the Show More Options dialog, which you find at the top of the Model Builder window. Best regards, Adam Wahlsten COMSOL

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.