Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Direct comparison to strain gage

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm modeling a simple fixed-free beam to compare with a piezo strain gage with a foil strain gage that I have on an actual beam (aluminum, 20cm x 2cm x 2mm). I'm trying to decide which strain I should have Comsol give me that would directly compare with the physical strain gages. I have the foil strain gage mounted on top of the beam near the fixed end and the piezo gage directly underneath it as well as a force sensor on the free end where I have a shaker.

I apply a force similar to what my force sensor gives me (~41N) to the free end in the Comsol model and want to see the theoretical strain on top and bottom where the physical sensors are.

I was using the "First principal strain" for my results which looks alright on the top of the beam, but I don't see the negative of it on the bottom as I was expecting. Is this the wrong strain to look at?

I'm using solid mechanics in 4.3a

Thanks for any help
Jon

2 Replies Last Post 20.08.2014, 04:38 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.10.2012, 01:42 GMT-4
Hi
interesting question,

Now I expect this is from a coordinate definition, as if you plot the principle stress or strain for directions 1,2,3 the symmetric one is ep2/sp2, and not ep1 nor ep3.
I expected to be able to find the definition back in the equation view but that is not the case, so you need to go back to the documentation and dig out the formulas (try a search) then to check how the principal directions are projected on your model, to sort this out ;)

But if you plot the principal Stress/strain arrows (under plot more) you will see that the arrows look rather logical in direction, and these are build upon the default coordinate and sp/ep values

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi interesting question, Now I expect this is from a coordinate definition, as if you plot the principle stress or strain for directions 1,2,3 the symmetric one is ep2/sp2, and not ep1 nor ep3. I expected to be able to find the definition back in the equation view but that is not the case, so you need to go back to the documentation and dig out the formulas (try a search) then to check how the principal directions are projected on your model, to sort this out ;) But if you plot the principal Stress/strain arrows (under plot more) you will see that the arrows look rather logical in direction, and these are build upon the default coordinate and sp/ep values -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago 20.08.2014, 04:38 GMT-4
hi, i would like to know how do u modelled the strain gage on your model

tq in advance
hi, i would like to know how do u modelled the strain gage on your model tq in advance

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.