Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shape Optimization of 3D Coils

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Is it possible to optimize the shape of 3D coils? I want to extend Shape Optimization of Coils, Application ID: 93801, from 2D axial-symmetric to 3 dimensions. However, I get the error: "Feature: Optimization Solver 1 (sol3/o1) Initial value based objective scaling cannot be used due to zero initial value. Use manual scaling instead."

Essentially, there are no magnetic fields to optimize because the coil geometry analysis step has not happened yet.

Inside the solver, I think I need to move the optimization step after the coil geometry analysis step, but this is not possible. I tried Shape Optimization instead of Optimization, but this gave the same error. Modifying the Optimization step could also be a potential solution.

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 18.11.2022, 09:23 GMT-5
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 17.11.2022, 14:58 GMT-5

Hi, version 6.1 does not support gradient based optimization over multiple Stationary study steps, and therefore your only option is to use gradient free optimization in this case. This is not supported via the Shape Optimization study step, so you will have to use the Optimization study step.

Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Hi, version 6.1 does not support gradient based optimization over multiple Stationary study steps, and therefore your only option is to use gradient free optimization in this case. This is not supported via the Shape Optimization study step, so you will have to use the Optimization study step. Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 18.11.2022, 09:23 GMT-5

I can add that there might be ways in which you can make a good approximation that is compatible with gradient based optimization using the functionality available in version 6.1, but we would need more details to say whether this is relevant to your applications, so I suggest contacting support, if you are interested in this.

Best regards,

Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

I can add that there might be ways in which you can make a good approximation that is compatible with gradient based optimization using the functionality available in version 6.1, but we would need more details to say whether this is relevant to your applications, so I suggest contacting support, if you are interested in this. Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.