Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mechanical Contact Problem, Fully Coupled vs Segregated Approach in Augmented Lagrangian Approach

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all, I am modelling a problem of rolling having two contact pair with large deformation. In defining the contact physics I followed these methods-

Method1- Solving using Penalty Method-

Solved succesfully with non-smooth result of contact pressure and there is noise in the curve of contat pressure along boundary.

Methhod 2 (a)- Augmented Lagrangian- Fully Coupled method

There is convergence error-

Failed to find a solution for all parameters,
                     even when using the minimum parameter step.
                     Maximum number of dogleg iterations reached.
                     Returned solution is not converged.
                     Not all parameter steps returned.

Method 2(b)- Augmented Lagrangian - Segregated Approach

Solved succesfully with smooth result of contact pressure (best result).

• Now my question is that why I am not able to solve using method 2(a)?
  • I want to understand the mathmatics behind the these methods please suggest me any good recourses for it.

0 Replies Last Post 11.10.2022, 01:12 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shyam Kishor

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.