Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Poission's ratio problem related to Structural Mechnics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I just started to learn COMSOL and tried to conduct a simple simulation of deformation of an elastic plate by a face load. I used Solid Mechanics model in 4.3 edtion.

1. When I set the material property, poission's ratio as 0.3, the simulation worked well and I could check the deformation plot. But when I change the ratio to 0.5, the problem came. It said,

- Detail: Undefined value found in the equation residual vector.
.There are 4885 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable mod1.u
. at coordinates: (-0.01,-0.005,0.0002), (-0.01,-0.005,-0.0002), (-0.01,-0.005,0), (-0.01,-0.00426971,-0.0002), (-0.01,-0.00463486,-0.0002), ...
There are 4885 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable mod1.v
. at coordinates: (-0.01,-0.005,0.0002), (-0.01,-0.005,-0.0002), (-0.01,-0.005,0), (-0.01,-0.00426971,-0.0002), (-0.01,-0.00463486,-0.0002), ...
There are 4885 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable mod1.w

No matter how I change other parameters, like load value or mesh, it always got wrong. But the 0.5 is the one I really need. Hope someone could help me figure out the reason.

2. And there's another question. when I changed the value of load to the surface and compute for result, I found the plot didn't change. I mean in reality, when the load increases, the displacement should be also increased. But in the plot, the shape of plate is never changed. Is this problem related to scale ratio or something?

Here I attach my mph and I really appreciate the help!

7 Replies Last Post 04.09.2015, 11:24 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.08.2012, 15:03 GMT-4
Poisson’s ratio = 0.5 leads to a stress-strain matrix with infinite terms on the diagonal. Terms that have 1-2*Poisson’s ratio in the denominator. Set it equal to say 0.499 and don’t forget to activate “Nearly Incompressible Material”.

The shape of the plate is not changing because COMSOL scales the displacements (to make the deformation visible). If you put a bigger load you get a small displacement scaling factor and the deformed geometry looks the same. You should manually set the displacement scale factor and activate “Include Geometric Nonlinearity” if your displacements are not very small.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Poisson’s ratio = 0.5 leads to a stress-strain matrix with infinite terms on the diagonal. Terms that have 1-2*Poisson’s ratio in the denominator. Set it equal to say 0.499 and don’t forget to activate “Nearly Incompressible Material”. The shape of the plate is not changing because COMSOL scales the displacements (to make the deformation visible). If you put a bigger load you get a small displacement scaling factor and the deformed geometry looks the same. You should manually set the displacement scale factor and activate “Include Geometric Nonlinearity” if your displacements are not very small. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.04.2013, 09:20 GMT-4

The shape of the plate is not changing because COMSOL scales the displacements (to make the deformation visible). If you put a bigger load you get a small displacement scaling factor and the deformed geometry looks the same.

Hello Nagi, I just want to ask something about that: Is there a way in Comsol that we could see the actual displacement for instance, if we would want that?
[QUOTE] The shape of the plate is not changing because COMSOL scales the displacements (to make the deformation visible). If you put a bigger load you get a small displacement scaling factor and the deformed geometry looks the same. [/QUOTE] Hello Nagi, I just want to ask something about that: Is there a way in Comsol that we could see the actual displacement for instance, if we would want that?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.04.2013, 14:38 GMT-4
Yes there is. Right click on the results plot and select Deformation then set Scale Factor to 1.0.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Yes there is. Right click on the results plot and select Deformation then set Scale Factor to 1.0. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.04.2013, 15:55 GMT-4
That's exactly what I wanted, thanks a lot!
It's too excessive though, but that's probably another mistake I made, I'll find it sooner or later.
That's exactly what I wanted, thanks a lot! It's too excessive though, but that's probably another mistake I made, I'll find it sooner or later.

Posted: 9 years ago 21.08.2015, 16:15 GMT-4
hello
i am photonic student and i have question about structural mechanic. may you give me your email that i be in contact with you.

regard
amir
hello i am photonic student and i have question about structural mechanic. may you give me your email that i be in contact with you. regard amir

Posted: 9 years ago 04.09.2015, 10:32 GMT-4
Poisson ratio has to be between 0-0.5 it cant be 0.5

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 04.09.2015, 11:24 GMT-4

That is a common misunderstanding. Actually -1 < Poisson's ratio < 0.5

Materials with Poisson's ratio < 0 are called "auxetics".

See also www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-linear-elastic-materials-how-difficult-can-it-be/

Henrik
[QUOTE] Poisson ratio has to be between 0-0.5 it cant be 0.5 [/QUOTE] That is a common misunderstanding. Actually -1 < Poisson's ratio < 0.5 Materials with Poisson's ratio < 0 are called "auxetics". See also https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-linear-elastic-materials-how-difficult-can-it-be/ Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.