Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Disc space problem/Solution storage/ Particle tracing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a problem where I am trying to solve a PDE in a 2D geometry using an extremely refined mesh, and then afterwards use the particle tracing feature to track a material curve. When I am solving the PDE, in the study tab, I put the times I want as something like range(0,0.25,1000) for example. I know what this does is capture and store the entire solution at every 0.25 time units, which obviously uses a lot of disc space. I then find the pathlines of various particles under the results tab.

The first question I want to ask is, does the number of solution captures effect my solution for the pathlines using the particle tracing feature? How does this feature work? Does it go back over stored solutions, work out the velocity field and interpolate between stored solutions? So for example if my original PDE solution was solved using range(0,2,1000), I would end up with a much less resolved solution for the particle tracing?

A second question would therefore be - is there anyway to solve for particle tracing as we are solving the PDE, instead of doing it afterwards from stored information?

Also, I afterwards want to make videos of my solutions. How does picking difference ranges affect the animation?

Thanks in advance, Richard

0 Replies Last Post 28.04.2022, 05:50 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Richard Mcnair

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.