Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with eigenfrequency in MEMS device

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a PZT device in order to find the resonance frequency. For some reason I get different eigenfrequencies for the same structure when I add 0-thickness electrodes and also when I put a constant electric potential one of the electrodes.

I thought eigenfrequency only relies on the structural properties of the device, so why does it change when when I add 0-thickness electrodes or add a charge to the device?

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 21.09.2012, 11:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.07.2012, 01:28 GMT-4
Hi

the eigenfrequency is depending also on the electric connections you do on a PZT because that changes the stiffness of the PZT. So you should have two frequencies, one in open circuit mode and one slightly different in short circuit mode, their relation gives the K coupling factor. Check a book on PZT systems, I can recommend the books of Prof. Preumont

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the eigenfrequency is depending also on the electric connections you do on a PZT because that changes the stiffness of the PZT. So you should have two frequencies, one in open circuit mode and one slightly different in short circuit mode, their relation gives the K coupling factor. Check a book on PZT systems, I can recommend the books of Prof. Preumont -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.07.2012, 11:05 GMT-4
Thanks Ivar, I will look into it.
Thanks Ivar, I will look into it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.09.2012, 11:17 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

I am now doing SAW eigenfrequency analysis and meet a problem of temperature effect on LiNbO3. There is a similar tutorial in comsol named saw_gas_sensor. Now I want to add the temperature effect, say increase the temperature to 40 degree and then analyse the eigenfrequency change. I have been struck here for a long time. Hope you could help me out. Thanks.

Regards,
--
zhanggazi
Hi Ivar, I am now doing SAW eigenfrequency analysis and meet a problem of temperature effect on LiNbO3. There is a similar tutorial in comsol named saw_gas_sensor. Now I want to add the temperature effect, say increase the temperature to 40 degree and then analyse the eigenfrequency change. I have been struck here for a long time. Hope you could help me out. Thanks. Regards, -- zhanggazi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.