Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to write variables in Phase Field Method

Faisal Khan Computational Fluid Dynamics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating water (disperse phase) droplet breakup in oil (continuous phase) flow in a T junction micro-channel. I went through comsole module application library and found a tutorial named "Droplet Breakup in a T-Junction". This problem is solved by level set method. In this model, variables are defined as V1, V2 (flow rate of fluid 1 and 2) and effective droplet diameter i.e. d_eff=2(intop1((phils>0.5)(x<-0.2[mm]))3/(4pi))^(1/3).

My geometry is a bit different (it has T branch in opposit direction) and I have constant value of flow rates for both fluids.

If I want to write the same expression of <d_eff> for phase field method, what changes will occur in this expression of effective droplet diameter. Itried with phils------->phipf but it didn't work at all.

-------------------
Faisal Khan

3 Replies Last Post 13.01.2022, 01:02 GMT-5

Posted: 3 years ago 11.01.2022, 00:57 GMT-5
Updated: 3 years ago 11.01.2022, 01:01 GMT-5

Here is the attached geometry with broader left side boundary is oil inlet and narrower vertical is water inlet. I want to input the following formula in local variable as attached in jpeg 2. It is giving me unit syntax error. I am unable to understand where is the mistake. In attached jpeg 3, I defined the globlal variables and some dimensions of the geometry. L is the channel length (800 micrometer). Experts, please help me.

-------------------
Faisal Khan
Here is the attached geometry with broader left side boundary is oil inlet and narrower vertical is water inlet. I want to input the following formula in local variable as attached in jpeg 2. It is giving me unit syntax error. I am unable to understand where is the mistake. In attached jpeg 3, I defined the globlal variables and some dimensions of the geometry. L is the channel length (800 micrometer). Experts, please help me.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 3 years ago 11.01.2022, 05:48 GMT-5

Hi,

I believe its a unit warning, as COMSOL has issues with fractional powers of units. Try to set your logic expressions in "unitless values" of the type (x[1/m] < L[1/m]) if L is defined with units, else just drop the units for your "parameter " (?) L .

Check if that helps.

Note a unit warning is not considered as an error, and calulation will go on, but it is a potential error, so the results might be wrong ...

Sincerely Ivar

-------------------
Have fun COMSOLing,
Sincerely,
Ivar
Hi, I believe its a unit warning, as COMSOL has issues with fractional powers of units. Try to set your logic expressions in "unitless values" of the type (x[1/m] < L[1/m]) if L is defined with units, else just drop the units for your "parameter " (?) L . Check if that helps. Note a unit warning is not considered as an error, and calulation will go on, but it is a potential error, so the results might be wrong ... Sincerely Ivar

Posted: 2 years ago 13.01.2022, 01:02 GMT-5

Thank you so much Dr. Ivar.

-------------------
Faisal Khan
Thank you so much Dr. Ivar.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.