Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange meshing behavior with virtual geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a complex 2D geometry which undergoes a number of merge vertices operations with aims to refine the mesh, however it seems to attempt to mesh a strange hybrid where boundaries and points have a mix of aspects from the geometry built up to the 'fin' node and the fully built virtual geometry.

Domains fit that of the virtual geometry unless they get meshed, at which point it will stretch to fit its new boundary, often causing it to overlap into other domains which then cannot be meshed.

Attatched are 3 images of a single example, which consistently occurs accross other examples. These images are of the same section of the geometry built up to the 'fin' node, refined with virtual operations and what is displayed when checking a built mesh. The three domains shown did not get meshed due to the effects described above, though in a case where the white one would, it would fill in that sliver, overlapping the green segment, preventing the green from being meshed.

Selecting geometric entities works completely as expected in the geometry built up to any point, this is also true when I create an unbuilt mesh module, it's only when the mesh is built and the module is selected that the boundaries shift. This issue persists with physics controlled and user controlled meshes.

Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 03.12.2021, 12:02 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 03.12.2021, 12:02 GMT-5
Updated: 3 years ago 03.12.2021, 12:23 GMT-5

An update, I managed to completely solve this issue by simply adding an edge meshing step before any domain meshing step

An update, I managed to completely solve this issue by simply adding an edge meshing step before any domain meshing step

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.