Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Equation Subscripts

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm creating a model using the electric currents interface of the AC/DC Module, and I'm slightly confused by some of the conservation equations. The first equation presented in the charge conservation node is . According to the module users guide, Q is the resistive loss, but I'm unsure of what the subscripts j and v refer to. Are they the directions? I'm doing a 2D axisymmetric model, so the coordinate directions are usually referred to as r and z, hence my confusion.

Also, the second equation is . According to the users guide refers to external current density. But since I'm not using the external current density node, can I just ignore this part of the equation? Since I'm assuming the default value is 0.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Sahil

2 Replies Last Post 10.12.2021, 09:59 GMT-5
Durk de Vries COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 01.12.2021, 07:29 GMT-5
Updated: 3 years ago 01.12.2021, 07:38 GMT-5

Hi Sahil,

Thanks for asking! In this context, "j,v" refers to "Current source, Volumetric" (Q is a source, j is a current, v refers to "volumetric"). This variable should have the unit A/m³. There are also surface current sources and line current sources, for example. If you wish to know more about a variable, you can also have a look in the "equation view".

Je is the external current density. You can consider this a "right-hand side" of the equation, or a means to excite your model. By default its value is zero, but you can set it to some other value using the "External Current Density" domain condition that you mentionned. In most cases, one would excite an Electric Currents model with Ground and Terminal conditions though.

Kind regards, Durk

Hi Sahil, Thanks for asking! In this context, "j,v" refers to "Current source, Volumetric" (*Q is a source, j is a current, v refers to "volumetric"*). This variable should have the unit A/m³. There are also surface current sources and line current sources, for example. If you wish to know more about a variable, you can also have a look in the ["equation view"](https://doc.comsol.com/5.5/doc/com.comsol.help.comsol/comsol_ref_modeling.10.56.html). Je is the external current density. You can consider this a "right-hand side" of the equation, or a means to excite your model. By default its value is zero, but you can set it to some other value using the "External Current Density" domain condition that you mentionned. In most cases, one would excite an Electric Currents model with Ground and Terminal conditions though. Kind regards, Durk

Posted: 3 years ago 10.12.2021, 09:59 GMT-5

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help!

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.