Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling magnetic field (no current) with solid state BH curve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I want to model magnetostriction phenomena. I found an example (nonlinear_magnetostriction.mph) where the magnetic field is created by a coil (current density J0) and which uses Magnetic Field (mf) physics equations. In my study I use a permanent magnet, and so I have to use Magnetic Field No Current (mfnc) equations to solve my problem.

Solving the magnetic part alone is not a problem, when I use a BH curve of my magnetostrictive material or when I use only a constant permeability value µr.

I add the solid mechanic physics equation (linked to the magnetic field), only for my magnetostrictive material.
I am perfectly able to find a solution when I use a constant µr value to define “magnetically” my magnetostrictive materials.

But when I change the magnetic definition of my material to a BH curve I have the following error:

Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mod1.mfnc.Hz
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 1
- Variable: mod1.mfnc.mfc3.minput_magneticfieldz
- Defined as: mod1.mfnc.Hz
- Variable: mod1.mfnc.normB
- Defined as: (mod1.mat4.BHCurve.BH(((unit_m_cf*sqrt(((mod1.mfnc.mfc3.minput_magneticfieldz^2)+((mod1.mfnc.mfc3.minput_magneticfieldy^2)+(mod1.mfnc.mfc3.minput_magneticfieldx^2)))))/unit_A_cf))*unit_T_cf)
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: subst(mod1.mfnc.normB,mod1.mfnc.HX,(unit_A_cf/unit_m_cf))
- Expression: nojac(((unit_m_cf*(subst(mod1.mfnc.normB,mod1.mfnc.HX,(unit_A_cf/unit_m_cf))-mod1.mfnc.normB))/unit_A_cf))
- Variable: mod1.mfnc.normDiff
- Defined as: nojac(((unit_m_cf*(subst(mod1.mfnc.normB,mod1.mfnc.HX,(unit_A_cf/unit_m_cf))-mod1.mfnc.normB))/unit_A_cf))
- Expression: (mod1.mfnc.normDiff*mod1.mfnc.HZ)

The error is concerning the variables: mod1.mfnc.Hx, mod1.mfnc.Hy or mod1.mfnc.Hz with no rules.

I have already done some tests:
- Even if the solid mechanics has no linked to the previous magnetic calculation, I have the error.
- If I add a heat transfer instead of the solid mechanics, I am able to find the magnetic solution.

I am using Comsol 4.2a.
The BH curve that I use is the inverse of the HB curve from the magnetostrictive material used in the nonlinear magnetostrictive example.

What could I change to find a solution with a BH curve?

2 Replies Last Post 01.07.2016, 15:02 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Wesley Doorsamy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 07.08.2015, 07:02 GMT-4
Hi I am also working on the same magnetostriction problem. If you know how to apply the magnetic field in certain direction kindly tell me.
Hi I am also working on the same magnetostriction problem. If you know how to apply the magnetic field in certain direction kindly tell me.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 01.07.2016, 15:02 GMT-4
At version 5.2a, the Structural Mechanics Module includes a pre-implemented interface for modeling magnetostriction: www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module .
Best regards,
Jeff
At version 5.2a, the Structural Mechanics Module includes a pre-implemented interface for modeling magnetostriction: www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.