Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Room Acoustics - Eigenmodes, loudspeaker/listener position, frequency response plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The model gallery contains a scene that is set up to allow the calculation of the eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes of a typical listening room:

www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/63/

Now, the location of the loudspeaker low-frequency woofers within this space has an effect on the level of excitation of the various room modes and the position of the listener will alter how much of the modal excitation is perceived.

I am trying to determine the optimal position of both the loudspeakers and the listener so that the optimally flat frequency response from 20Hz - 20kHz is achieved at the listening position.

The model does not take either of these elements into account. How can this be done?

- How would I add a sound source; can I model the diameter of the woofer in the scene and set this as a monopole source?
- Can I calculate a frequency response plot at the listening position?
- Is there a way to automate different positions (X,Y) of loudspeaker and listener in a brute-force type of approach to identify which configuration would result in the most desirable flat frequency response results?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Joost

1 Reply Last Post 07.07.2012, 05:35 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.07.2012, 05:35 GMT-4
If anyone can help with even part of the questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If anyone can help with even part of the questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.