Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effective Permittivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

for a volume, with an applied electric potential, of multiple domains, with separately defined material properties, under the results section after the model is solved, within the derived variables, there is an option for material properties-> permittivity (xx,xy,etc.) Does anyone know how this is calculated? The model I have should be effectively anisotropic for the effective permittivity of all domains, and I am getting 3 numbers that match for the xx,yy, and zz direction and cannot find the way that comsol attempts to calculate this in the reference guides.

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 04.11.2021, 16:26 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 04.11.2021, 16:26 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 04.11.2021, 17:16 GMT-4

Hello Denise,

If I understand your post correctly, some information needed to answer your question is missing from your post. If under Derived Values you're asking the software to compute, say, a Volume Average of a particular quantity, then the returned value is computed by computing the volume average of that quantity, i.e. the volume integral of that quantity over the selected domains divided by the volume of the selected domains (which is the integral of 1 over the selected domains). If you ask for a Volume Maximum, then that's what's returned. And so on.

For more information on Derived Values - or if I misunderstood you - see COMSOL Multiphyics Reference Manual, version 5.6 page 1564 and following.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Denise, If I understand your post correctly, some information needed to answer your question is missing from your post. If under Derived Values you're asking the software to compute, say, a Volume Average of a particular quantity, then the returned value is computed by computing the volume average of that quantity, i.e. the volume integral of that quantity over the selected domains divided by the volume of the selected domains (which is the integral of 1 over the selected domains). If you ask for a Volume Maximum, then that's what's returned. And so on. For more information on Derived Values - or if I misunderstood you - see COMSOL Multiphyics Reference Manual, version 5.6 page 1564 and following. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.