Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrophoretic flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
We intend to separate the components of a very dilute aqueous binary colloidal suspension using electrophoresis. The suspension contains two types of spherical colloidal particles, one having a radius of 50 nm and a zeta potential of −30 mV, while another of radius 20 nm and unknown zeta potential. Figure 9.25 shows the separation scheme. Both particles start at the same location and traverse the lengthLat different times when an electric field is applied between the electrodes as shown.
The length L is 200 μm. Under the external field, the larger particle travels the distance from start to finish in 12 seconds. What is the zeta potential of the smaller particle if it reaches the finish line in 26.5 seconds? The electrolyte
(1 : 1) concentration is 0.01M and the solvent viscosity is 0.001 Pa s. Since the suspension is very dilute, you can assume that the particle mobility can be adequately represented by the single particle mobility expressions. i want to calculate Henry's function.how can I model this problem with comsol?

I will be happy to see any reply or mph file for this problem.

Tanx

0 Replies Last Post 15.05.2012, 08:36 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adele Adria

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.