Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force Calculation in Magnetic fields module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi While using this nice feature to calculate the force on body using the magnetic fields module I noticed the material description had no density specified. So I was wondering how and where does Comsol actually calculate the force. I mean if there's no density specified then mass is unknown and if I do F=ma then the result should either demand for m or assume it to be zero.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help on this.

Harsh

6 Replies Last Post 04.01.2021, 04:35 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 02.01.2021, 11:57 GMT-5

The magnetic force is not depending on the density or mass of the object. It would become relevant in case you wanted to calculate the movement of the object, i.e. when you couple the magnetic force with solid mechanics physics.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The magnetic force is not depending on the density or mass of the object. It would become relevant in case you wanted to calculate the movement of the object, i.e. when you couple the magnetic force with solid mechanics physics. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago 03.01.2021, 05:20 GMT-5

Thanks for the reply Edgar.

But then is this force not related to F=ma? If not then, could you please help me understand it a bit. I tried reading the module manual but I couldn't understand much. Is it the force on magnetic lines? Will the force on the body be different then?

Thanks for the reply Edgar. But then is this force not related to F=ma? If not then, could you please help me understand it a bit. I tried reading the module manual but I couldn't understand much. Is it the force on magnetic lines? Will the force on the body be different then?

Posted: 4 years ago 03.01.2021, 06:16 GMT-5

It is a magnetic force. Nothing is being accelerated.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
It is a magnetic force. Nothing is being accelerated.

Posted: 4 years ago 03.01.2021, 06:40 GMT-5

Thanks again Edgar. Just one last question please. Should I assume it to be force on magnetic field lines rather than bulk mass?

Thanks again Edgar. Just one last question please. Should I assume it to be force on magnetic field lines rather than bulk mass?

Posted: 4 years ago 03.01.2021, 16:08 GMT-5

The magnetic force acts exactly on the entity you defined the force calculation on.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
The magnetic force acts exactly on the entity you defined the force calculation on.

Posted: 4 years ago 04.01.2021, 04:35 GMT-5

I think it's still not too clear to me. I'll try reading the handbook again to try and understand this. By the way, thanks a lot for your efforts. Appreciate it.

I think it's still not too clear to me. I'll try reading the handbook again to try and understand this. By the way, thanks a lot for your efforts. Appreciate it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.