Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribed stress on solid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to know if there's an option to apply prescribed stress or something alike instead of forces since I want to simulate deformations which are not caused by forces.

I know hygroscopic swelling exists but thats not what i want.

Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post 19.03.2020, 18:45 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 18.03.2020, 14:38 GMT-4
Updated: 4 years ago 18.03.2020, 14:45 GMT-4

Physically you can only prescribe the components of the stress tensor acted on by the normal vector, i.e. forces. Or you can impose displacements. But not the full stress tensor - the problem would be overdetermined.

Let's take a step back. What is it you are trying to simulate? What are the governing partial differential equations and the boundary conditions?

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Physically you can only prescribe the components of the stress tensor acted on by the normal vector, i.e. forces. Or you can impose displacements. But not the full stress tensor - the problem would be overdetermined. Let's take a step back. What is it you are trying to simulate? What are the governing partial differential equations and the boundary conditions? Best, Jeff

Posted: 4 years ago 18.03.2020, 15:51 GMT-4
Updated: 4 years ago 22.03.2020, 17:36 GMT-4

I'm trying to simulate a beam that deforms due to applied voltage.

I need to solve a second order differential equation (see picture) to obtain a expression of electric field (Ex) and then the electrostatic stress is proportional to the divengence of the electric displacement.

Boundary conditions: Top and bottom potential which are obtained from other physics. Thanks for replying.

I'm trying to simulate a beam that deforms due to applied voltage. I need to solve a second order differential equation (see picture) to obtain a expression of electric field (Ex) and then the electrostatic stress is proportional to the divengence of the electric displacement. Boundary conditions: Top and bottom potential which are obtained from other physics. Thanks for replying.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 19.03.2020, 03:24 GMT-4

You can use features like External Stress, External Strain, or Initial Stress and Strain when you have this type of volumetric effect.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
You can use features like *External Stress*, *External Strain*, or *Initial Stress and Strain* when you have this type of volumetric effect.

Posted: 4 years ago 19.03.2020, 18:45 GMT-4

Thank you! It helped me.

*For someone who is interested, you have to right click 'Linear Elastic Material' and place 'External Stress' or 'External Strain'.

Thank you! It helped me. *For someone who is interested, you have to right click 'Linear Elastic Material' and place 'External Stress' or 'External Strain'.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.