Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpolation Functions Units

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a semiconductor using the AC\DC module with an applied electric field which in some areas is high (10^5 V/cm) and in some areas is low (10^2 V/cm). I wanted to model this by putting in interpolated data based on the drift velocity of electrons/holes at various electric fields and relate that to the conductivity of the subdomain.

Using Options-> Functions I defined a function named VelocityE. I then try to pass to it the magnitude of the electric field in the simulation (normE_emqvw), but it doesn't seem to like the fact that normE_emqvw isn't unitless. Is there a way to specify the units of the arguments and output of the function, or am I not using the tool properly?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Reply Last Post 10.01.2010, 05:12 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.01.2010, 05:12 GMT-5
Hi

Units does not pass yet everywhere in COMSOL V3.5a, but its worth to render the variables "unitless" to avoid errors.
If you look at the function definition of ie.e materials data you will se many T[1/K] which means that T is first transformed into "Kelvin" from whatever units defined before (if none defined, Kelvin is the default I believe for the temperature) before rendered it unitless by dividing by "K". This is looked after by COMSOL.

So I would recommend that you should consider this systematically, when defining your variables and equations in the functions definitions too.

Try it out on simple cases first
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Units does not pass yet everywhere in COMSOL V3.5a, but its worth to render the variables "unitless" to avoid errors. If you look at the function definition of ie.e materials data you will se many T[1/K] which means that T is first transformed into "Kelvin" from whatever units defined before (if none defined, Kelvin is the default I believe for the temperature) before rendered it unitless by dividing by "K". This is looked after by COMSOL. So I would recommend that you should consider this systematically, when defining your variables and equations in the functions definitions too. Try it out on simple cases first Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.