Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effective refractive index determination from S matrix for a metamaterial unit cell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm trying to the determine the effective refractive index for a metamaterial unit cell. For this case, the cell is oriented parallel to the propagation direction (k) as show in the references below. Unfortunately, I'm not being able to reproduce the results and I dont know why. Does anybody has any experience with this?

Im attaching a model that tries to reproduce the results from Fig. 3 in [1]. The model uses the wave optics module, but it can be also easily done using RF module.

Best, Felipe

[1] Q. Cheng, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, “Broadband planar Luneburg lens based on complementary metamaterials,” Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 95, no. 18, p. 181901, Nov. 2009.

[2] R. Liu et al., “Experimental Demonstration of Electromagnetic Tunneling Through an Epsilon-Near-Zero Metamaterial at Microwave Frequencies,” Phys. Rev. Lett., vol. 100, no. 2, p. 023903, Jan. 2008.

-------------------
Felipe Beltran-Mejia

0 Replies Last Post 03.04.2019, 10:01 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Felipe Beltran-Mejia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.