Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with meshing thin geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am new to COMSOL and have trouble meshing the attached file. It consists of a very thin layer between 2 thicker ones and thin spacing between the bars. Does anyone have any suggestions/link to tutorials that might help?

Thanks

6 Replies Last Post 28.12.2013, 18:46 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.08.2011, 03:29 GMT-4
Hi,

I suggest you build 2 free triangular, ther first for the thin layer and the second for the others. For the thin layer, you might want to add two distribution node and specify a pretty high number of elements, to be sure to have a mesh thin enough. the two others will adapt at the neighborhood of the thin one to the distribution nodes, and you can after specify a size for each free triangular to tweak it as you prefer...

Good luck
Hi, I suggest you build 2 free triangular, ther first for the thin layer and the second for the others. For the thin layer, you might want to add two distribution node and specify a pretty high number of elements, to be sure to have a mesh thin enough. the two others will adapt at the neighborhood of the thin one to the distribution nodes, and you can after specify a size for each free triangular to tweak it as you prefer... Good luck

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.08.2011, 15:53 GMT-4
im trying to mesh part of the thin layer using free triangular and a distribution set to 10 ( i labeled it side1, one of the copper electrodes) but it is taking quite a long time, even with my i7 sandy bridge cpu. Im not sure if im doing what you described. Do you mind meshing a section of it for me as an example? my email is chowryan@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ryan Chow
im trying to mesh part of the thin layer using free triangular and a distribution set to 10 ( i labeled it side1, one of the copper electrodes) but it is taking quite a long time, even with my i7 sandy bridge cpu. Im not sure if im doing what you described. Do you mind meshing a section of it for me as an example? my email is chowryan@gmail.com Thanks, Ryan Chow

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.08.2011, 16:41 GMT-4
ok i tried following your advice but am not sure if it is correct. the mesh completes to 100% (after about an hour or so) but at the last moment gives errors on several of the thin faces. Ive attached some jpegs showing the mesh settings and errors.

Thanks!
ok i tried following your advice but am not sure if it is correct. the mesh completes to 100% (after about an hour or so) but at the last moment gives errors on several of the thin faces. Ive attached some jpegs showing the mesh settings and errors. Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.08.2011, 02:36 GMT-4
bump?
bump?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.08.2011, 01:58 GMT-4
Hi

One question: why do you mesh your "thin" copper layers as bulk 3D devices ?, do you exepect gradients in the thickness ?

I would suggest to remove these thin volumes and use "surface physics", and as everything is square you could use a simple mapped mesh overall

Take a look at the doc about "thin layers"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi One question: why do you mesh your "thin" copper layers as bulk 3D devices ?, do you exepect gradients in the thickness ? I would suggest to remove these thin volumes and use "surface physics", and as everything is square you could use a simple mapped mesh overall Take a look at the doc about "thin layers" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.12.2013, 18:46 GMT-5

Hi

One question: why do you mesh your "thin" copper layers as bulk 3D devices ?, do you exepect gradients in the thickness ?

I would suggest to remove these thin volumes and use "surface physics", and as everything is square you could use a simple mapped mesh overall

Take a look at the doc about "thin layers"

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

this problem is old but I have exactly the same problem and I haven't found any other problems similar to this one in the forum.

I need to study the eigenfrequency of a quartz tuning fork with thin layers of gold around it (they form the electrodes).

Sorry but I haven't found the doc "surface physics" you suggested some years ago, maybe they have removed it.

Thank you,

Giorgio Bernardini

[QUOTE] Hi One question: why do you mesh your "thin" copper layers as bulk 3D devices ?, do you exepect gradients in the thickness ? I would suggest to remove these thin volumes and use "surface physics", and as everything is square you could use a simple mapped mesh overall Take a look at the doc about "thin layers" -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, this problem is old but I have exactly the same problem and I haven't found any other problems similar to this one in the forum. I need to study the eigenfrequency of a quartz tuning fork with thin layers of gold around it (they form the electrodes). Sorry but I haven't found the doc "surface physics" you suggested some years ago, maybe they have removed it. Thank you, Giorgio Bernardini

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.