Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Java Runtime Environment error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Getting following error,

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000003da3efbc6c, pid=6909, tid=46912497239488
#
# JRE version: 6.0_20-b02
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0+0xfbc6c] gtk_icon_set_render_icon+0x58c

Does anyone know how to resolve it...

Regards

15 Replies Last Post 06.04.2017, 18:21 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Narendra Patil

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.11.2011, 05:24 GMT-4
Hi,

I get the same kind of error. I am working under Ubuntu 11.04.
Any clue for solution?

Thanks,
Massimo
Hi, I get the same kind of error. I am working under Ubuntu 11.04. Any clue for solution? Thanks, Massimo

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.11.2011, 13:06 GMT-4
I had something similar that turned out to be related to the new overlay scrollbars in Ubuntu 11.04. I also run the Ubuntu Classic window manager, not the Unity WM

#
[thread 53107568 also had an error]# A fatal error has been detected
by
the Java Runtime Environment:

#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00e503e1, pid=27669, tid=3077753040
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libc.so.6+0x703e1] cfree+0x31
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/ablanchard/hs_err_pid27669.log
#

This is the reply from COMSOL Support:

I found this bug report which looks similar to yours:
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/overlay-scrollbar/+bug/789123
You may want to try the suggestion in comment 18 and 23. Try to disable the
overlay scrollbars to see if that helps.

I disabled the overlay scrollbars and haven't had that problem again. Just follow the link above for instructions.

Cheers
I had something similar that turned out to be related to the new overlay scrollbars in Ubuntu 11.04. I also run the Ubuntu Classic window manager, not the Unity WM # [thread 53107568 also had an error]# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00e503e1, pid=27669, tid=3077753040 # # JRE version: 6.0_20-b02 # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode linux-x86 ) # Problematic frame: # C [libc.so.6+0x703e1] cfree+0x31 # # An error report file with more information is saved as: # /home/ablanchard/hs_err_pid27669.log # This is the reply from COMSOL Support: I found this bug report which looks similar to yours: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/overlay-scrollbar/+bug/789123 You may want to try the suggestion in comment 18 and 23. Try to disable the overlay scrollbars to see if that helps. I disabled the overlay scrollbars and haven't had that problem again. Just follow the link above for instructions. Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.12.2011, 07:42 GMT-5
If you are using a remote desktop access the error is most likely related to problems using hardware accelerated graphics. By starting Comsol Multiphysics in software rendering mode the error might disapear. By default Comsol Multiphysics tries to start in hardwarte accelerated mode.

Software rendering is activated by the starting Comsol Multiphysics with the following flag:
comsol -3Drend sw

After the first time this setting will be saved and used as default when starting Comsol Multiphysics.
The setting can be changed from within the program "Option -> Preferences -> Graphics - 3D rendering -> OpenGL

Jonas
If you are using a remote desktop access the error is most likely related to problems using hardware accelerated graphics. By starting Comsol Multiphysics in software rendering mode the error might disapear. By default Comsol Multiphysics tries to start in hardwarte accelerated mode. Software rendering is activated by the starting Comsol Multiphysics with the following flag: comsol -3Drend sw After the first time this setting will be saved and used as default when starting Comsol Multiphysics. The setting can be changed from within the program "Option -> Preferences -> Graphics - 3D rendering -> OpenGL Jonas

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.03.2013, 14:44 GMT-5
Hi,
Did anybody find a solution.
I find this error when I try to run a eclipse Java ,COMSOL API

thank you in advance
Hi, Did anybody find a solution. I find this error when I try to run a eclipse Java ,COMSOL API thank you in advance

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.01.2014, 12:22 GMT-5
Hello,
I seem to have the same problem on Windows 64bit, version 4.3b, it happens in the BeamModelDemo example at these lines:
SwingGraphicsPanel graphicsPanel = new SwingGraphicsPanel("window1", "Window1");
mainPanel.add(graphicsPanel, BorderLayout.CENTER);

[code]
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fee9baba56, pid=1060, tid=3788
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [cs3d_ogl.dll+0xba56]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
[/code]
Hello, I seem to have the same problem on Windows 64bit, version 4.3b, it happens in the BeamModelDemo example at these lines: SwingGraphicsPanel graphicsPanel = new SwingGraphicsPanel("window1", "Window1"); mainPanel.add(graphicsPanel, BorderLayout.CENTER); [code] # # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fee9baba56, pid=1060, tid=3788 # # JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18) # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops) # Problematic frame: # C [cs3d_ogl.dll+0xba56] # # Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows # # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit: # http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code. # See problematic frame for where to report the bug. # [/code]

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.06.2014, 13:24 GMT-4
Comsol 4.4 update 2

Ubuntu 14.04 x64
Comsol was succesfully installed and started. Getting following error while clicking "help" or "about" menu:
"A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment"

I tried to run the program on Mint 17 with Cinnamon or Mate after. Same error.

Since ubuntu 12.04 is officially supported, I installed latest available ubuntu 12.04.4. And got same error with java.

Comsol 4.4 update 2 Ubuntu 14.04 x64 Comsol was succesfully installed and started. Getting following error while clicking "help" or "about" menu: "A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment" I tried to run the program on Mint 17 with Cinnamon or Mate after. Same error. Since ubuntu 12.04 is officially supported, I installed latest available ubuntu 12.04.4. And got same error with java.

Posted: 10 years ago 21.08.2014, 13:36 GMT-4
COMSOL 4.4. update 2.
Running Ubuntu 14.04, x64.

COMSOL crashes with JAVA runtime error while changing parameters. It *always* crashes when trying to access Help menu or Documentation.

This problem did not occur in Ubuntu 12.04 (checked and verified with same version of COMSOL).

Tried removing 'overlay-scrollbar' in Ubuntu 14.04. The problem still persists.

Here is the error message:

-------------------------------------
java version "1.7.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.1) (7u65-2.5.1-4ubuntu1~0.14.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)
#
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007ff9d32ed2a1, pid=2791, tid=140714205308736
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libsoup-2.4.so.1+0x6c2a1] soup_session_feature_detach+0x11
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/----/hs_err_pid2791.log
#
# java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
Aborted (core dumped)
COMSOL 4.4. update 2. Running Ubuntu 14.04, x64. COMSOL crashes with JAVA runtime error while changing parameters. It *always* crashes when trying to access Help menu or Documentation. This problem did not occur in Ubuntu 12.04 (checked and verified with same version of COMSOL). Tried removing 'overlay-scrollbar' in Ubuntu 14.04. The problem still persists. Here is the error message: ------------------------------------- java version "1.7.0_65" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.1) (7u65-2.5.1-4ubuntu1~0.14.04.1) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode) # # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007ff9d32ed2a1, pid=2791, tid=140714205308736 # # JRE version: 6.0_20-b02 # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (16.3-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 ) # Problematic frame: # C [libsoup-2.4.so.1+0x6c2a1] soup_session_feature_detach+0x11 # # An error report file with more information is saved as: # /home/----/hs_err_pid2791.log # # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit: # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code. # See problematic frame for where to report the bug. # Aborted (core dumped)

Posted: 10 years ago 25.08.2014, 11:54 GMT-4
A possible fix for this problem was reported in:

"COMSOL crashes when trying to access the documentation"
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1178/
A possible fix for this problem was reported in: "COMSOL crashes when trying to access the documentation" http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1178/

Posted: 10 years ago 14.11.2014, 12:29 GMT-5
Nope. It didn't help me either.

But let me share some top secret info FOR LINUX COMSOL USERS only.
The ONLY linux distro that runs Comsol 4.4 error-free is a Mint Linux 13 Maya.

I had not any errors on Mint Linux Maya 13 64bit. (based on 12.04 ubuntu)

But (!) I did have those above mentioned java-errors with newer distros such as the ones based on 14.04 ubuntu or 14.10.
And (!) I did have same errors on 12.04 ubuntu so far. (wtf)

So, keep that in mind. Thus hopefully I saved some of your time.

PS: same java errors are on comsol 5.0. So don'taskdon'tell )))
Nope. It didn't help me either. But let me share some top secret info FOR LINUX COMSOL USERS only. The ONLY linux distro that runs Comsol 4.4 error-free is a Mint Linux 13 Maya. I had not any errors on Mint Linux Maya 13 64bit. (based on 12.04 ubuntu) But (!) I did have those above mentioned java-errors with newer distros such as the ones based on 14.04 ubuntu or 14.10. And (!) I did have same errors on 12.04 ubuntu so far. (wtf) So, keep that in mind. Thus hopefully I saved some of your time. PS: same java errors are on comsol 5.0. So don'taskdon'tell )))

Posted: 10 years ago 19.12.2014, 13:16 GMT-5
i'm also getting this same error using putty/xwindows from a windows machine to a linux environment. Using software rendering and/or help mode-> browser did not help.

Interestingly, this same error only occured on the "about COMSOL multiphysics" option. I had no issues accessing help, documentation etc.
i'm also getting this same error using putty/xwindows from a windows machine to a linux environment. Using software rendering and/or help mode-> browser did not help. Interestingly, this same error only occured on the "about COMSOL multiphysics" option. I had no issues accessing help, documentation etc.

Posted: 9 years ago 21.04.2015, 14:07 GMT-4
I resolved a similar issue with COMSOL 5.1 by selecting: Option/preference/help/Web browser
Make sure to close and re-open COMSOL.
I resolved a similar issue with COMSOL 5.1 by selecting: Option/preference/help/Web browser Make sure to close and re-open COMSOL.

Posted: 9 years ago 29.04.2015, 04:08 GMT-4

I resolved a similar issue with COMSOL 5.1 by selecting: Option/preference/help/Web browser
Make sure to close and re-open COMSOL.

Hi, what is your system? Mine is windows 7. I have the similar problem, even though I have changed the openGL to software, it still keeps crashing. I will crash if it continues.
[QUOTE] I resolved a similar issue with COMSOL 5.1 by selecting: Option/preference/help/Web browser Make sure to close and re-open COMSOL. [/QUOTE] Hi, what is your system? Mine is windows 7. I have the similar problem, even though I have changed the openGL to software, it still keeps crashing. I will crash if it continues.

Posted: 8 years ago 12.01.2017, 15:45 GMT-5

Hello,
I seem to have the same problem on Windows 64bit, version 4.3b, it happens in the BeamModelDemo example at these lines:
SwingGraphicsPanel graphicsPanel = new SwingGraphicsPanel("window1", "Window1");

[code]
#
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fee9baba56, pid=1060, tid=3788
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
#
[/code]

Dear Dmitry,

I faced the same error. It will be great if you can share any solution you got for this problem.

thanks
Ashish Mishra
[QUOTE] Hello, I seem to have the same problem on Windows 64bit, version 4.3b, it happens in the BeamModelDemo example at these lines: SwingGraphicsPanel graphicsPanel = new SwingGraphicsPanel("window1", "Window1"); mainPanel.add(graphicsPanel, BorderLayout.CENTER); [code] # # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fee9baba56, pid=1060, tid=3788 # # JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18) # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops) # Problematic frame: # C [cs3d_ogl.dll+0xba56] # # Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows # # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit: # http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code. # See problematic frame for where to report the bug. # [/code] [/QUOTE] Dear Dmitry, I faced the same error. It will be great if you can share any solution you got for this problem. thanks Ashish Mishra

Posted: 8 years ago 13.01.2017, 05:11 GMT-5

Hello,

[code]
#
#
#
# Problematic frame:
#
#
#
[/code]

Dear Daniel,
I am facing the same error on windows 7. Can you share any solution of the problem you got?

thanks
Ashish
[QUOTE] Hello, I seem to have the same problem on Windows 64bit, version 4.3b, it happens in the BeamModelDemo example at these lines: SwingGraphicsPanel graphicsPanel = new SwingGraphicsPanel("window1", "Window1"); mainPanel.add(graphicsPanel, BorderLayout.CENTER); [code] # # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment: # # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000007fee9baba56, pid=1060, tid=3788 # # JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18) # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops) # Problematic frame: # C [cs3d_ogl.dll+0xba56] # # Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows # # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit: # http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code. # See problematic frame for where to report the bug. # [/code] [/QUOTE] Dear Daniel, I am facing the same error on windows 7. Can you share any solution of the problem you got? thanks Ashish

Posted: 7 years ago 06.04.2017, 18:21 GMT-4
I had a very similar error. I am using RHEL6 and COMSOL v5.2a. I deleted the .comsol folder in my home directory. This fixed the issue.
I had a very similar error. I am using RHEL6 and COMSOL v5.2a. I deleted the .comsol folder in my home directory. This fixed the issue.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.