Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation of a dielectric material by laserbeam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to simulate the deformation of an elastic spherical dielectric object with properties like optical density, elasticity, viscosity,... (eventually surrounded by water) and it should be deformed in a laser gradient field of two opposing divergent lasers. Each of them has a gaussian beam profile (if its not to difficult). It should look like the attached file.
Then I want to see how the Diameter changes with time when the lasers are at constant power.

Do you think this is possible?
My idea was to create a simple sphere with the mentioned properties but I don't know how
- to create a laser
- to make it deformable
- and the time development.

I hope you can help me!

PS. The real setup is called "optical stretcher" which is used to deform ("stretch") biological cells (e.g. leukemia cells) to define their viscoelastic properties.

5 Replies Last Post 02.07.2017, 23:05 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.05.2011, 09:08 GMT-4
Now that nobody has an answer, I have another question:
do you think it is POSSIBLE to simulate the described problem?
And would it be possible to define a less viscous liquid inside the sphere or even a thin network that gets also deformed?

I don't want a tutorial or something, I just need your experienced opinion. If I'm not able to simulate it by myself, I want to write into my bachelor thesis whether it is possible if one is more experienced in Comsol Multiphysics or not.
Now that nobody has an answer, I have another question: do you think it is POSSIBLE to simulate the described problem? And would it be possible to define a less viscous liquid inside the sphere or even a thin network that gets also deformed? I don't want a tutorial or something, I just need your experienced opinion. If I'm not able to simulate it by myself, I want to write into my bachelor thesis whether it is possible if one is more experienced in Comsol Multiphysics or not.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.05.2011, 11:01 GMT-4
Hi

I would say everything is possible from the moment you can describe (via PDE and bounded value problems) the way the part deforms, and the physical links (EM field, Temperature, ...

From what you write it's not clear for me is which physical phenomena are involved

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say everything is possible from the moment you can describe (via PDE and bounded value problems) the way the part deforms, and the physical links (EM field, Temperature, ... From what you write it's not clear for me is which physical phenomena are involved -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.05.2011, 13:52 GMT-4
Thank already for your answer!
I will explain the physical phenomena: When the light gets on the Sphere (= cell) with the refraction index n (bigger than the surrounding) the light gets refracted and thereby the impulse of the light changes when it's a dielectric object. On molecular level I think it has something to do with inducing dipoles by the light which then interact with the electric field of the light. This change of Impulse creates a force on the cell and then deforms it. This Deformation depends on the power of the light source, how / where the light impinges and the viscoelastic properties (viscosity, shear module, elastic module,... ) of the cell.
With this model I wanted to compare the elasticity and viscosity of the sphere (maybe even with multiple layers representing the membrane and the inner part of the cell) with the real results so that I can say on what the "mechanic of the cell" could depend.

Would it be possible to simulate such interaction between light and matter?
If yes, is it also necessary to describe the deformation with a PDE or will then the program do this?
Thank already for your answer! I will explain the physical phenomena: When the light gets on the Sphere (= cell) with the refraction index n (bigger than the surrounding) the light gets refracted and thereby the impulse of the light changes when it's a dielectric object. On molecular level I think it has something to do with inducing dipoles by the light which then interact with the electric field of the light. This change of Impulse creates a force on the cell and then deforms it. This Deformation depends on the power of the light source, how / where the light impinges and the viscoelastic properties (viscosity, shear module, elastic module,... ) of the cell. With this model I wanted to compare the elasticity and viscosity of the sphere (maybe even with multiple layers representing the membrane and the inner part of the cell) with the real results so that I can say on what the "mechanic of the cell" could depend. Would it be possible to simulate such interaction between light and matter? If yes, is it also necessary to describe the deformation with a PDE or will then the program do this?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.05.2011, 15:39 GMT-4
Hi

is believe then that you must provide the equations to drive the link electric field to force interaction, or at least to adapt that. But this is really better answered by support or your local rep. You must have the physics link established, possibly by complementing what is already in COMSOL.

COMSOL is prepared such that the users migt at ny moment add PDEs and ODEs to the physics to complement them

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi is believe then that you must provide the equations to drive the link electric field to force interaction, or at least to adapt that. But this is really better answered by support or your local rep. You must have the physics link established, possibly by complementing what is already in COMSOL. COMSOL is prepared such that the users migt at ny moment add PDEs and ODEs to the physics to complement them -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 02.07.2017, 23:05 GMT-4
Hi

I want to simulate the deformation of an elastic spherical dielectric object in an optical field just like optical stretcher. I noticed that you are interested in such field. Would you please give me some tips on how to simulate this interaction between light and matter?

Sincerely

Bruce
Hi I want to simulate the deformation of an elastic spherical dielectric object in an optical field just like optical stretcher. I noticed that you are interested in such field. Would you please give me some tips on how to simulate this interaction between light and matter? Sincerely Bruce

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.