Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Correct definition of coil features for a stranded conductor with steel core in 3D

Joachim Niemann-Larsen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMOL community,

I have implemented 3D model of a stranded overhead line conductor with 3 aluminum layers and 1 steel core in COMSOL, as seen on the attached image. Can any of you tell me what the best way to model the current density distribution of each layer would be? I guess I should use the Coil feature within the Magnetic Fields (mf) physics, however, I'm not sure how to set it up as how I want it. I think of assuming that all of the strands in each layer have electrical contact (as seen on the image), while each layer is insulated from each other (I can change the geometry to make this happen). In practical installations each strand in each layer will be in contact, but the strands between layers can have various contact points depending on the tension/setup etc. All three layers have different lay length (distance of one revolution of strand around the diameter of the conductor) and adjacent layers have opposite twisting direction. I've also looked at the mef physics, however, my understanding is that the mf physics should be sufficient for my model.

So, should I use the Single conductor Coil or the multi-turn, and how many coil nodes will be needed, with the requirements that I've mentioned so far?

Any help is highly appreciated - thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 18.06.2018, 12:12 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 18.06.2018, 12:12 GMT-4

Hi Joachim

If I understand correctly, you want to define a given current I[A] that you set as an input for the conductor.

I would say you only need one Coil node, which you apply to all the layers, and then choose as input the value of your current I[A]. The sum of the current in each strand will be equal to your input current.

Don't forget to do a Coil Geometry Analysis study step before your study step of interest (Time Dependent, Stationary, or Frequency, for example).

Hi Joachim If I understand correctly, you want to define a given current I[A] that you set as an input for the conductor. I would say you only need one Coil node, which you apply to all the layers, and then choose as input the value of your current I[A]. The sum of the current in each strand will be equal to your input current. Don't forget to do a Coil Geometry Analysis study step before your study step of interest (Time Dependent, Stationary, or Frequency, for example).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.