Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to Define a nonlinear elasticity Model In Comsol 4.0?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Dr. Ivar,
I want to use a nonlinear Elastic relationship called "Duncan-Chang Model " for building a model about soil deformation. I use "Linear Elastic Material Model", and fill the parameters E and nu, of cause the E and nu, which now are fuctions about principal stresses (solid.sp1 and solid sp3). and it doesn't work with err "Circular variable dependency detected."
Are there some solutions that can be used to solve my problem ? and what technique need to be used in this problem?thanks a lot.

7 Replies Last Post 07.06.2016, 06:53 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.04.2011, 15:26 GMT-4
Hi,
perhaps you could upload the equations you are trying to solve, so it would be easier to give you a hint.
best
john
Hi, perhaps you could upload the equations you are trying to solve, so it would be easier to give you a hint. best john

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 23.04.2011, 00:06 GMT-4
You are getting this “circular variable dependency” because Young’s modulus is used to calculate stress, and you can’t make also a function of stress. If you can reformulate the equations to have Young’s modulus function of strain instead that should work.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You are getting this “circular variable dependency” because Young’s modulus is used to calculate stress, and you can’t make also a function of stress. If you can reformulate the equations to have Young’s modulus function of strain instead that should work. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.04.2011, 20:34 GMT-4
I know your meaning. In another word, it is the PDE that must to been used to solve this problem. Frankly speaking,I think the Structure module is not perfect and convenient now,
I know your meaning. In another word, it is the PDE that must to been used to solve this problem. Frankly speaking,I think the Structure module is not perfect and convenient now,

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.09.2011, 11:51 GMT-4
Hi,

about this discussion, if I have non linearities expressed in function of the stress how can I pass to a Young's module expressed as a function of the strain. Tks so much

Cristian

Hi, about this discussion, if I have non linearities expressed in function of the stress how can I pass to a Young's module expressed as a function of the strain. Tks so much Cristian

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.07.2012, 10:21 GMT-4
After a year, finally i find the method to deal with use-defind nonlinear elasticity Model.
To avoid "Circular variable dependency detected." " problem it is best way to built anothor domain ODE.
thanks Nagi Elabbasi's advice, i didnt understand his words until today(one year later!!) god save me.
After a year, finally i find the method to deal with use-defind nonlinear elasticity Model. To avoid "Circular variable dependency detected." " problem it is best way to built anothor domain ODE. thanks Nagi Elabbasi's advice, i didnt understand his words until today(one year later!!) god save me.

Posted: 8 years ago 07.06.2016, 05:05 GMT-4
how to use Domain ODES to solve circular variable?Thank you!
my email:njutsjh@163.com
how to use Domain ODES to solve circular variable?Thank you! my email:njutsjh@163.com

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 07.06.2016, 06:53 GMT-4
Hi,

Here is an example:

www.comsol.com/model/modeling-stress-dependent-elasticity-14441

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Here is an example: https://www.comsol.com/model/modeling-stress-dependent-elasticity-14441 Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.