Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issue with Geometry Layer Settings in Comsol 5.3 Semiconductor Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working with Comsol 5.3 and the corresponding Semiconductor Module. I am specifying the dimensions and layers for a p-i-n junction. I have 3 layers which are 2 um, 6 um and 2 um in thickness. The total thickness or height of is 10 um (specified in the Size and Shape field). The layers are specified in the Layers field. When I specify the 3 layers, Comsol adds a fourth layer for some reason. It also says that the layers to do not fit into the geometry of the device. Why is this happening?

1 Reply Last Post 03.10.2017, 08:52 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 03.10.2017, 08:52 GMT-4

Jeff,

For solid domain of thickness 10 um, you need to specify only two layers from the top of thickness 2 um and 6 um. The result is three-layered domain with third layer thickness being 10 um -(2 um + 6 um) placed at the bottom.

Regards, Sergei

Jeff, For solid domain of thickness 10 um, you need to specify only two layers from the top of thickness 2 um and 6 um. The result is three-layered domain with third layer thickness being 10 um -(2 um + 6 um) placed at the bottom. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.