Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot Temperature wrt Extra Dimension in Thin Layer of Heat Transfer module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all:

I'm new to Comsol 5.2a for just one weeks, however, I have some questions though digging into Documentation so hard turning out in vain.

---
I simulated the heat transfer in a patterned thin film structure (nm in thickness) between two bulks (mm). Therefore I used the "thin layer" approximation to substitute the "pattern thin film" ( by a boundary drawn on one of the bulk surface).
The problem happened when I was trying to plot the "temperature" v.s. the "extra dimension" created for the thin layer approx.

---
Here is the story.
First in first, I plotted the variable "Temperature(T)" with respect to the 3D structure as the analogy to example Thin-Film Resistance (Application ID: 31).

However, I noticed that there was no "T" drop within the thickness of the thin layer in the plot.
So it occurred to me that I had to plot the T with respect to the "extra dimension" introduced by the thin layer approximation instead of the original 3D dimension.

So I located "Results=>Data Sets=>Study 1/Solution 1 (2) : Component" and selected the "Extra dimension from thin layer" term.
Then I added an "1D plot group" and chose "Data set" in the setting as "Study 1/Solution 1 (2) ".
And in the sub node "Line graph", however in the setting tab I change the "y-axis Data" to "comp().ht().tl().Txdim" instead of original "comp().T".

The error prompt came out and said :
-----------------------------------------------
Undefined variable.
- Variable: comp7.ht5.tl1.Txdim
- Geometry: ht5_tl1_xdim1_xdim
- Domain: 1
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: comp7.ht5.tl1.Txdim
- Plot: lngr1 (Line graph)
-----------------------------------------------

I have no idea how can't I plot the "dependent variable": "comp7.ht5.tl1.Txdim" existing in the node with respect to the "extra dimension"?

May anyone help? I really appreciate it.
Thank you for your patience on the reading and answering.

0 Replies Last Post 12.07.2017, 16:00 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christina Liao

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.