Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Decrease size of simulation volumen in heat transfer analysis

Gerardo E. Villarreal-Garcia

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I've read that PML boundary conditions can be used in electromagnetic studies to save computational time by limiting the size of the simulation area/volume. Is there anything similar I can use for heat transfer studies?

I'm currently simulation a heater (with dimensions in the order of submicrons by tens of microns) in the middle of a substrate which is considerably bigger than the heater (in the order of milimeters).

I used the Parametric Sweep to analyse the effect of increasing the size of my simulation area on the stationary solution, but I was thinking if there's an alternative to just make the substrate as big as the real device.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Gerardo E. Villarreal-Garcia

Centre for Quantum Photonics
H.H. Wills Physics Laboratory
University of Bristol
Tyndall Avenue
Bristol
BS8 1TL, UK

Email: g.villarreal@bristol.ac.uk

0 Replies Last Post 23.06.2017, 11:34 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gerardo E. Villarreal-Garcia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.