Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Asymetric magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I'm using a magnetic field 2D model and a 50Hz frequency study.

I have three power-lines that transmit 3-phase currents. That is, each coil is 120[deg] phase shifted to the
other.

The power-lines are placed in [-9,0], [0,0] and [9,0] and all transits the same current magnitude with the
same frequency.

For some reason the total magnetic flux density normB is not symmetric around x=0. It will have a higher
peak on one of the sides. (Which side depends on which cable is the "reference" while the other are phase
shifted +-120 with respect to this).

Does anyone understand why normB is not symmetric? Any insight will be gladly appreciated.
(file attached)
Aksel

1 Reply Last Post 14.05.2017, 17:06 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 14.05.2017, 17:06 GMT-4
You have other conductors besides the ones you have specified currents for. If I remove all the other conductors I get a symmetric solution for normB. I conclude that the other conductors are carrying nonzero currents.

DW Greve
DWGreve Consulting
You have other conductors besides the ones you have specified currents for. If I remove all the other conductors I get a symmetric solution for normB. I conclude that the other conductors are carrying nonzero currents. DW Greve DWGreve Consulting

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.