Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Apply a dynamic load to a truss bridge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Long Story Short:

I am currently conducting a project where I analyze a dynamic load on a bridge that simulates a boat colliding with the side of the span of the bridge. Is there any way to apply a dynamic point or face load on the model trusses that are provided with the COMSOL software ( the Pratt Truss Tutorial) or would I need to build a completely different model in COMSOL to achieve this type of loading? Anyone know???

Thanks,
Ryan

3 Replies Last Post 09.02.2011, 01:51 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.02.2011, 16:56 GMT-5
Hi

for me trusses have only lines/edges and points, so you can mainly apply point loads. Then to get the point load to change with time, it's essentailly done by generating a function (your impulse shape, smooth enought to be derived at least once, if possible twice), and depending on the time; then off you go

What else so you need ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me trusses have only lines/edges and points, so you can mainly apply point loads. Then to get the point load to change with time, it's essentailly done by generating a function (your impulse shape, smooth enought to be derived at least once, if possible twice), and depending on the time; then off you go What else so you need ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.02.2011, 19:07 GMT-5
Ivar,
Thanks for your help. Is applying the dynamic load as simple as inputting a function for a point/face load as opposed to a numerical value? If not, do you know where I could find any tutorials or instructions on how to apply this load(I'm a novice COMSOL user)?

Thanks,

Ryan
Ivar, Thanks for your help. Is applying the dynamic load as simple as inputting a function for a point/face load as opposed to a numerical value? If not, do you know where I could find any tutorials or instructions on how to apply this load(I'm a novice COMSOL user)? Thanks, Ryan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.02.2011, 01:51 GMT-5
Hi

the best way, and the one I followed was to do the exercices in the doc, run the video's on the web AND then follow a few of the COMSOL 1 day courses, these are really usefull toget a cick start

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the best way, and the one I followed was to do the exercices in the doc, run the video's on the web AND then follow a few of the COMSOL 1 day courses, these are really usefull toget a cick start -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.