Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CFD simulations resulting in extreme pressures

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am doing some CFD simulations on the housing of a radial piston hydraulic motor (the simplified geometry can somewhat be similar to a gear spinning in a confined volume where the cogs are replaced with interior walls pushing oil around in the house). The time-dependent solution converges, both for laminar and turbulent flow (k-eps) and give a relatively accurate result regarding the torque asserted from the fluid on the surrounding walls when compared with experimental data. The problem arises when I look at the pressure, which fluctuates with a local minimum value of -2900kPa. As inlet condition to the model I have specified a velocity, and as outlet a pressure (0 Pa). The reference pressure is 1 atm. I know there will be cavitation in the motor so low local pressures are expected (down to -1 atm) , but these values seem extreme and impossible. Does anyone have some tips regarding how I can deal with these extreme values and produce a more accurate result regarding the pressures?

0 Replies Last Post 15.02.2017, 05:38 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tommy Larsson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.