Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic transmission

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to simulate pressure (sound) transmission between two sides of air domain in the COMSOL transient pressure acoustic module. These two domains are cut by a metal sheet and i want to know how could i simulate the transmission through the metal?

Is there some specific boundary conditions to apply or another module than the acoustic-solid interaction to use ? Or maybe in can set a type of periodic boundary to receive the inflow and radiate the outlow of the metal sheet ?

Please let me know !
Thanks,

Irene

2 Replies Last Post 30.01.2017, 01:17 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Irene Elliot

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Mads Herring Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 12.01.2017, 16:52 GMT-5
Hi Irene

Setting up a transmission loss problem in the time domain through a periodic structure is very difficult, if the incidence is not normal to the surface. In the frequency domain you can use the Floquet periodicity condition. Another challenge is setting up good radiation conditions at both sides of the system.

I would recommend to model this in the frequency domain and then use the transfer function to predict the time domain behavior.

There are several tutorials on this, here is one:
www.comsol.com/model/acoustic-transmission-loss-through-periodic-elastic-structures-1974

Best regards
Mads
Hi Irene Setting up a transmission loss problem in the time domain through a periodic structure is very difficult, if the incidence is not normal to the surface. In the frequency domain you can use the Floquet periodicity condition. Another challenge is setting up good radiation conditions at both sides of the system. I would recommend to model this in the frequency domain and then use the transfer function to predict the time domain behavior. There are several tutorials on this, here is one: https://www.comsol.com/model/acoustic-transmission-loss-through-periodic-elastic-structures-1974 Best regards Mads

Posted: 7 years ago 30.01.2017, 01:17 GMT-5

Hi Irene

Setting up a transmission loss problem in the time domain through a periodic structure is very difficult, if the incidence is not normal to the surface. In the frequency domain you can use the Floquet periodicity condition. Another challenge is setting up good radiation conditions at both sides of the system.

I would recommend to model this in the frequency domain and then use the transfer function to predict the time domain behavior.

There are several tutorials on this, here is one:
www.comsol.com/model/acoustic-transmission-loss-through-periodic-elastic-structures-1974

Best regards
Mads

Hi Mads,

Floquet periodic boundary condition does not work with normal incidence wave?

--
Regards,
Linus Ang
[QUOTE] Hi Irene Setting up a transmission loss problem in the time domain through a periodic structure is very difficult, if the incidence is not normal to the surface. In the frequency domain you can use the Floquet periodicity condition. Another challenge is setting up good radiation conditions at both sides of the system. I would recommend to model this in the frequency domain and then use the transfer function to predict the time domain behavior. There are several tutorials on this, here is one: https://www.comsol.com/model/acoustic-transmission-loss-through-periodic-elastic-structures-1974 Best regards Mads [/QUOTE] Hi Mads, Floquet periodic boundary condition does not work with normal incidence wave? -- Regards, Linus Ang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.