Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometric Non linearity doubly clamped beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

Currently I am working on determining the nonlinear force displacement relationship of a thin doubly clamped beam with a central tip mass. I use a parametric sweep with a point load in a stationary study to generate my force displacement relationship

My question is, for the geometric nonlinearity included in my stationary analysis will this include the effect of the central tip mass or the beam only? When I put together a cubic stiffness curve fit after my simulation I notice when I run it with and without the mass I get very similiar cubic curve fits ( I expect they are only slightly off due to a small reduction in the mesh with the added mass sections at the centre of the beam). Does anyone know if geometric nonlinearity includes the effect of the tip mass, from what I saw in the solid mechanics user module it only uses strain without any inclusion of mass, is this correct?

I am using COMSOL 5.1

your help is most appreciated in this matter

kind regards Tanju

0 Replies Last Post 30.10.2016, 17:17 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tanju Yildirim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.