Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating Machinery Coil problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I have a problem with my model. I'm trying to simulate an disk-rotor linear induction motor in 3D (Imported from autocad), seeing as devising a 2D model is out of the question. Instead of Soft Iron without losses, I chose a different material (somaloy), modeling it based on said soft iron, changing the b/h curves.

In stationary, using the magnetic fields physics, everything works more or less okay and I obtain the values of the B-field easily. However, when I try simulating it in the frequency domain, using the same physics package, it never seems to converge.

I then thought it might have something to do with the fact that I would have moving parts (rotor) so I opted for the Rotating machinery package. Seeing as the coils do not have a circular or linear shape, I chose them as numeric. This means that I'd have to use a cylinder (surface) to define the way the currents trasverse the coil. However,whenever I choose form assembly (to define continuities and id-pairs), it's not possible for me to choose the cylinder surface as an indicator for the current orientation.

Does anybody know how I can solve this issue?

Thank you,
Papo

2 Replies Last Post 10.10.2016, 12:25 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 06.09.2016, 12:23 GMT-4
Hi Bete,

For modeling any kind of rotating machines (motor or generator) we recommend you to first go through these two blog posts and associated examples:
1. www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-model-rotating-machinery-in-3d/
2. www.comsol.com/blogs/guidelines-for-modeling-rotating-machines-in-3d/

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi Bete, For modeling any kind of rotating machines (motor or generator) we recommend you to first go through these two blog posts and associated examples: 1. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-model-rotating-machinery-in-3d/ 2. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/guidelines-for-modeling-rotating-machines-in-3d/ Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 8 years ago 10.10.2016, 12:25 GMT-4
Great post Thanks for sharing.
Great post Thanks for sharing.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.