Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trouble With Multi-Turn Coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new user of COMSOL trying to simulate an electromagnet. I am attempting to replicate the process and results in the paper linked here (www.comsol.com/paper/models-of-simple-iron-cored-electromagnets-18130) as a starting point. I am using version 5.2.

I am having problems setting up and computing my study, specifically with the multi-turn coil. According to the paper I am following, I must add a "Automatic Current Calculation subnode to the Multi-Turn Coil domain." From the AC/DC Module User's Guide (hpc.mtech.edu/comsol/pdf/ACDC_Module/ACDCModuleUsersGuide.pdf) page 183, I can do this by "Right-click the Multi-Turn Coil to add an Automatic Current Calculation subnode." However, when I right click my Multi-Turn Coil, I get no such option. For some reason I couldn't attach a file, so here is a screenshot of what I'm working with (imgur.com/a/IS42f)

When I try and compute my study without the added node, I get the following error:
Numeric multiturn coil Multi-Turn Coil (mtcd1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step.
- Feature: Stationary Solver 2 (sol1/s2)
- Error: Numeric multiturn coil Multi-Turn Coil (mtcd1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step.

I have a Coil Geometry Analysis step in my study, so I am guessing the error actually lies in my missing Automatic Current Calculation subnode.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Thanks.

5 Replies Last Post 20.12.2016, 08:19 GMT-5

Posted: 8 years ago 10.08.2016, 13:58 GMT-4
I think I solved my problem. I had not properly specified the input boundary under the geometry analysis subnode. It seems as though the "Automatic Current Calculation" subnode is not needed in v5.2. Can someone confirm this?
I think I solved my problem. I had not properly specified the input boundary under the geometry analysis subnode. It seems as though the "Automatic Current Calculation" subnode is not needed in v5.2. Can someone confirm this?

Posted: 8 years ago 02.11.2016, 10:27 GMT-4
The Automatic Current Calculation sub node is only required when you define your multi turn coil as numeric. When you define it as linear or circular, the option for that node isn't available. It is the same in v5.0 and v5.2.
The Automatic Current Calculation sub node is only required when you define your multi turn coil as numeric. When you define it as linear or circular, the option for that node isn't available. It is the same in v5.0 and v5.2.

Posted: 8 years ago 27.11.2016, 18:34 GMT-5

Please how did you solve your problem, I am having the same problem
(Numeric multiturn coil Multi-Turn Coil 1 (mtcd1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step.)

Thanks
Johnes
[QUOTE] I think I solved my problem. I had not properly specified the input boundary under the geometry analysis subnode. It seems as though the "Automatic Current Calculation" subnode is not needed in v5.2. Can someone confirm this? [/QUOTE] Please how did you solve your problem, I am having the same problem (Numeric multiturn coil Multi-Turn Coil 1 (mtcd1) not solved for. Solve it in a Coil Geometry Analysis step.) Thanks Johnes

Posted: 8 years ago 28.11.2016, 04:08 GMT-5
@johnes obungoloch

try to add a study with "Coil geomeotry analysis".
And unter "type" of the coil, try to set: numeric and define your input/ouput
@johnes obungoloch try to add a study with "Coil geomeotry analysis". And unter "type" of the coil, try to set: numeric and define your input/ouput

Posted: 8 years ago 20.12.2016, 08:19 GMT-5
Hello there,

I am trying to simulate the eddy current effects on a electromagnetic actuator.

Until this moment, I have managed to run the problem and get a solution without including the coil.

The next step is to add the domain condition in the coil and solve for coil geometry analysis. The study is completed and I get the direction of the current in the coil.

Finally, I am adding a stationary step after the coil geometry analysis step (just to check if the study is computed and obtain the magnetic field).

In the latter case, I get an error that divergence clearance failed to converge (something like that).

I need to deal with a 3D geometry, because the design has some complex features, which cannot be represented in 2D.

Has anybody faced a similar problem?

Regards,

Pavos.
Hello there, I am trying to simulate the eddy current effects on a electromagnetic actuator. Until this moment, I have managed to run the problem and get a solution without including the coil. The next step is to add the domain condition in the coil and solve for coil geometry analysis. The study is completed and I get the direction of the current in the coil. Finally, I am adding a stationary step after the coil geometry analysis step (just to check if the study is computed and obtain the magnetic field). In the latter case, I get an error that divergence clearance failed to converge (something like that). I need to deal with a 3D geometry, because the design has some complex features, which cannot be represented in 2D. Has anybody faced a similar problem? Regards, Pavos.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.