Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Save only probe measurement in parametric study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to Comsol, so maybe my question is easy to answer...

I am doing a study with 3 parametric sweeps at the same time, with only one point of interest measured by a probe. My problem is that Comsol saves the complete result (not only the point I am interested at, but every nodes of the volume), and then the memory of my computer is not big enough to conclude the study (even with 16GB RAM).
Then my question is : is it possible to ask comsol to store only solutions at the probe point, and not all the others ?

Thank you.

6 Replies Last Post 25.07.2016, 10:53 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 21.07.2016, 15:43 GMT-4
You can use domain point probe to plot and write a particular variable in table. In dependent variables node of solver study, uncheck store output box for all the variables solved for. This will highly reduce your model out file size.
You can use domain point probe to plot and write a particular variable in table. In dependent variables node of solver study, uncheck store output box for all the variables solved for. This will highly reduce your model out file size.

Posted: 8 years ago 22.07.2016, 07:30 GMT-4
Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately, if I uncheck the boxes, it seems that comsol does not compute anything anymore, and I obtain only zeros (or -inf if in log scale).
Is there something more to do than just unchecking the boxes ?
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, if I uncheck the boxes, it seems that comsol does not compute anything anymore, and I obtain only zeros (or -inf if in log scale). Is there something more to do than just unchecking the boxes ?

Posted: 8 years ago 22.07.2016, 10:58 GMT-4
Make sure you do not uncheck solve for box.
Make sure you do not uncheck solve for box.

Posted: 8 years ago 22.07.2016, 11:17 GMT-4
It is still checked. In fact, I can not uncheck them.
It is still checked. In fact, I can not uncheck them.

Posted: 8 years ago 25.07.2016, 04:59 GMT-4
Ok, when I launch the program, I can see that the values are calculated, but each new value overwrites the previous one. Then in the en I have only the last value, and if I try to get back the others, it only gives zeros.
The same thing happens if I try to save the values in a file during the simulation.
Ok, when I launch the program, I can see that the values are calculated, but each new value overwrites the previous one. Then in the en I have only the last value, and if I try to get back the others, it only gives zeros. The same thing happens if I try to save the values in a file during the simulation.

Posted: 8 years ago 25.07.2016, 10:53 GMT-4
After experimenting a bit, it seems that it is necessary to check the "Store in output" box for the component I want to measure with the probe. Unchecking the other components reduces the amount of data stored, but I am sure it could be better...!
After experimenting a bit, it seems that it is necessary to check the "Store in output" box for the component I want to measure with the probe. Unchecking the other components reduces the amount of data stored, but I am sure it could be better...!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.