Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

EMW Eigenfrequency Complex Permittivity Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am doing an eigenfrequency simulation that includes a material with complex, frequency-dependent permittivity. I defined the real and imaginary parts of the relative permittivity as global functions as follows:

myepsrR(x) = 3.9-(wp^2/(x^2+Gamma^2))
myepsrI(x) = Gamma*wp^2/(x^3+x*Gamma^2)

Then, under the basic material parameters definition, I added to the model input "Frequency (freq)". Having done that, I defined the relative permittivity as follows:

myepsrR(freq*2*pi)+j*myepsrI(freq*2*pi)

Under Wave Equation, Electric --> Model Inputs, I select: Frequency "From Solver"

When I try to compute the solution, I immediately get the following error message:

Division by zero.
- Function: /
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(((-(wp^2)*Gamma)*(3*myepsrI__x__internalArgument^2+Gamma^2))/(myepsrI__x__internalArgument^2*(myepsrI__x__internalArgument^2+Gamma^2)^2),myepsrI__x__internalArgument)
Error in user-defined function.
- Function: ddmyepsrI_dmyepsrI__x__internalArgument_dmyepsrI__x__internalArgument

When I change the imaginary part of the relative permittivity to a constant, I do not get this error. This error appears for both the "relative permittivity" and "dielectric loss" settings under "Wave Equation, Electric" --> "Electric Displacement Field"

0 Replies Last Post 27.05.2016, 13:45 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Karen Grutter

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.