Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

connection rmm and heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,
Im working on project of line start permanent magnet synchronous motor to my thesis. Main point of my research in my work is to correctly modeling heating of my machine.

On this point i got three phase line start synchronous motor with permanent magnets. Motor works, flux density is correct.

I created my project from defining materials, and my coils by using multi turn coil with reversed current direction. Coils are supplied by sinusoidal voltage which is defined in variables.

Right now i want to connect my rmm model with heat transfer module precisely saying joule heating. But jules heating add to my program additional physics like electric currents. I'm know that in this model heat is generated by current flowing in my coils but i already got current in coils by the ampere law in rmm.
What i supposed to do and how to make all things correct.

Mark.

1 Reply Last Post 25.05.2016, 02:32 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 25.05.2016, 02:32 GMT-4
There are some preset physics but you can do it the following way.

You already have a model with rmm. Then add heat conduction as a second physics for the
domains where you want heat to be modelled.

For the domains with currents in rmm you add a domain feature with heat source and enter
rmm.Qrh as heat. This brings the heat generator by the current to the heat modelling.
The other direction of the coupling is also possible: you can use the temperature T to make
the el. conductivity temperature dependent.

Regards

Jens
There are some preset physics but you can do it the following way. You already have a model with rmm. Then add heat conduction as a second physics for the domains where you want heat to be modelled. For the domains with currents in rmm you add a domain feature with heat source and enter rmm.Qrh as heat. This brings the heat generator by the current to the heat modelling. The other direction of the coupling is also possible: you can use the temperature T to make the el. conductivity temperature dependent. Regards Jens

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.