Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate the wave's power which pass through an edge before a PML layer?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am now building a 2D structure which is half-infinite, which I should add a PML layer.
Wave incident to the structure and I would like to calculate how much power it remains after passing through it.
I know it is easy to use port BC to get S-parameter to get the Transmission, Reflection and Absorption, but if there is a PML layer, I think there is no way to set a port.
So is there a way to calculate the power at an edge?

Thanks a lot!
Han

4 Replies Last Post 14.12.2016, 10:34 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 04.05.2016, 14:06 GMT-4
You can do a line integral of the component of the Poynting vector (e.g., emw.Poavy) along the edge of interest to you. There are several ways to set up such an integral. For example: (1) as a probe, or (2) as a post-computation derived value

For the first approach, go to: Component 1---> Definitions . Right-click Definitions, choose Probes --> Boundary Probe. Change Type to Integral. Choose the boundary in question. Under expression, choose the appropriate Poynting vector component. Then either plot or evaluate/tabulate this probe value after you run the model.

For the second approach, run the model first, then go to Results --> Derived Values. Right-click Derived Values and choose Integration --> Line Integration. Under expression, choose the appropriate Poynting vector component. Then click on "Evaluate".

You can do a line integral of the component of the Poynting vector (e.g., emw.Poavy) along the edge of interest to you. There are several ways to set up such an integral. For example: (1) as a probe, or (2) as a post-computation derived value For the first approach, go to: Component 1---> Definitions . Right-click Definitions, choose Probes --> Boundary Probe. Change Type to Integral. Choose the boundary in question. Under expression, choose the appropriate Poynting vector component. Then either plot or evaluate/tabulate this probe value after you run the model. For the second approach, run the model first, then go to Results --> Derived Values. Right-click Derived Values and choose Integration --> Line Integration. Under expression, choose the appropriate Poynting vector component. Then click on "Evaluate".

Posted: 8 years ago 06.05.2016, 01:41 GMT-4
It works! Thanks a lot!
It works! Thanks a lot!

Posted: 8 years ago 13.12.2016, 22:01 GMT-5
Hi,

What if I use structural mechanics module (frequency domain)? How can I compute the energy of elastic wave passing through a surface?

Thank you very much!
Hi, What if I use structural mechanics module (frequency domain)? How can I compute the energy of elastic wave passing through a surface? Thank you very much!

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 14.12.2016, 10:34 GMT-5
Hi,

For structural mechanics, you can user the mechanical energy flux variables that are discussed in this thread:

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/30845

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, For structural mechanics, you can user the mechanical energy flux variables that are discussed in this thread: https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/30845 Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.