Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Negative Stiffness Structure in series with resin (large strains)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modeling a metal NSS with a block of resin on top of it in 2D. I've set two constraints: fixed constraint on the bottom of the structure and prescribed displacement on the top of the resin. In other words, I want to compress the ensemble enough for it to show the negative stiffness behavior of the structure.

When I run the model using high values of Young's Modulus of the resin (E>400 kPa), it works fine. Nevertheless, if I use values of E smaller than 400kPa, I'm only able to run the model with very small displacements, which prevents me from observing the negative stiffness behavior. With larger displacements I get the following error: Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step...

I believe that the problem relies on the fact that the resin is subject to too large strains, since the E_resin<<E_structure (the structure works perfectly fine by itself).

Is there a way to make it work for small values of E (with large strains)? Do I have to get the nonlinear structural materials module?

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: I tried to submit the file but I got an error related to the file size .

3 Replies Last Post 09.03.2016, 02:34 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 03.03.2016, 02:14 GMT-5
Hi,

Linear elasticity and large compressive strains can be problematic. This is discussed in

www.comsol.se/blogs/modeling-linear-elastic-materials-how-difficult-can-it-be

If you do 'Clear Solutions' and 'Clear Meshes' your file size will decrease significantly, and it may be possible to upload it.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Linear elasticity and large compressive strains can be problematic. This is discussed in https://www.comsol.se/blogs/modeling-linear-elastic-materials-how-difficult-can-it-be If you do 'Clear Solutions' and 'Clear Meshes' your file size will decrease significantly, and it may be possible to upload it. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 03.03.2016, 12:39 GMT-5
Hi,

I have read the blog discussion but I'm still not sure what to do to make the model run. They suggest to change to a suitable hyperelastic material model... Does this require the Nonlinear Structural Materials Module? or is there anything else I can do?

Please find attached a copy of my model.

Thanks again!
Hi, I have read the blog discussion but I'm still not sure what to do to make the model run. They suggest to change to a suitable hyperelastic material model... Does this require the Nonlinear Structural Materials Module? or is there anything else I can do? Please find attached a copy of my model. Thanks again!

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 09.03.2016, 02:34 GMT-5
Hi,

Yes, hyperelastic materials require the Nonlinear Structural Materials Module.

www.comsol.se/nonlinear-structural-materials-module

Since your material model probably is far of from reality anyway, you can consider playing around with E and nu a bit and see how far you can get. Plot the smallest principal strain (solid.ep3) at non-convergence to see how bad it is.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Yes, hyperelastic materials require the Nonlinear Structural Materials Module. https://www.comsol.se/nonlinear-structural-materials-module Since your material model probably is far of from reality anyway, you can consider playing around with E and nu a bit and see how far you can get. Plot the smallest principal strain (solid.ep3) at non-convergence to see how bad it is. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.